Saturday, May 16, 2015

A Pine Hutch for the Breakfast Room

 
 Back in January, when I was planning the ranchburger's kitchen, I showed the cabinetmaker a picture of an old pine hutch. Could he make one? If it wasn't over the budget, that is. Jimmy measured the space three times, then he measured again. He is precise. But I am not. I make mistakes.


In the back of my mind, I worried about that hutch. Would it be too curvy? Too straight? Would it look [sort of] old or like it rolled off a showroom floor? Would it fit the space? Several people tactfully advised me to look for an antique piece.
Speaking of which, I'd pushed for reclaimed wood, but Jimmy didn't like to work with it. He promised to take a Medieval approach to the hutch, roughing it up with chains. When the estimate came in, it was in-line with my budget. So it was all good.

Still, I worried. Me, I latch onto things that don't matter so I can divert myself from important issues. That said, at some point my worry about the hutch receded. The one thing that I didn't worry about was a cohesive style--if the white Shaker cabinets didn't look okay with my hutch or my kitchen table, I would be ticked to pieces. Mission accomplished!


This week, Jimmy sent a few photos, along with stain samples. It was love at first sight.

Straight lines. 
Curvy lines. 
Knotty pine.
Storage below.
 Plenty of shelf space on top for dishes and whatnots. Lots of those.


The hutch will go on the left wall.

From another perspective, you can see where the hutch will go--to the right of the stairs. (The breakfast room is on the far right.)

My next task was to choose a stain. Jimmy sent a dozen, and I narrowed them down to two--one was natural and the darker one was called "Deanna." 


 With a hutch that cute, the stain wouldn't matter. But I had to pick something by nightfall. "Natural" was pretty, but "Deanna"would add warmth. While I like all-white kitchens as a backdrop, I myself feel happy around color and contrast. Knotty pine reminded me of my grandmother's kitchen, a place where herbs grew in pots, a lemon-apricot pound cake baked in the oven, and steam rose from a singing tea kettle.
To me, that's what decorating is all about.
Sweet memories will help me make a new home.

Looking forward to filling the hutch with my favorite dishes and putting a singing kettle on the stove. 

I hope everyone is having a happy, worry-free weekend.
Love, 



32 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how it is going to look! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be beautiful! It has something of a Welsh Dresser about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very pretty piece of furniture! Looking forward to seeing it finished.
    Hope you are enjoying the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a thing of beauty. I love the knotty pine. Looking forward to seeing it all dressed-up. :) Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous-I'm so excited to see the final result! I have a similar hutch; in fact, the top is nearly identical, but mine is open beneath two drawers. (I envy the storage you will have!) The stain is dark, and my white ironstone pieces look wonderful against it. He did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is going to be one gorgeous piece of furniture! Can't wait to see it in it's new home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word, what a great piece. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Welch dresser. I saw one years ago in a pic of an old English house. Gorgeous! Plain and Simple. Just think...you can rotate your dishes in/on this and add color...or go with white for a more serene look too. The possibilities are endless...with a dish lover like yourself. :-) back to the dresser...I am sure yours is better made than something from a furniture store too! Plus you know the craftsman, etc. Solid wood too, yeah!
    Been thinking about your Zap and hope he is hanging on ok. We have an older golden. So far he is in good health except for a cyst...that has been biopsied. It is ok. Our fur babies...take space in our hearts for sure.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your hutch and it will look so good in your kitchen, which by the way is looking so good.
    I hope that Zap is doing well - they work their way into our hearts, don't they?
    Have a wonderful Sunday.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zap has good and bad days. Today is a good one. :-) Thank you for asking about him!

      Delete
  10. Love it! I have an older pine English Hutch....it's about 20 yrs. The one piece I will not part with! I can't wait to see it finished....everything is so beautiful! Blessings~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well he created quite a beautiful piece for you! I'm sure it's going to look fabulous in the spot it was created for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ML, love your idea of having one made to fit. I have a Welch dresser in our dining room. The open shelves are filled with my favorite pieces of Quimper and the drawers are filled with our wedding china. Your kitchen is looking great. I'm impressed with all you do to make a house your own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's looking really good so far.Love your kitchen too. The dresser will really look nice there. I have my blue and white china on mine. I think dressers look so nice with blue and white.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michael Lee! Oh, I love your new hutch! How nice you can have this built just for you and your space! I love the stain you chose too. I'm so thrilled for you and your new home! It's gonna be so gorgeous! Thanks for taking us along on this journey! Do you have a date when your new home will be ready for you to poke your things into it yet? Fun fun.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a date. It's so hard because I can't wait to move!

      Delete
  15. oh, you are going to have a lot of fun with this gorgeous piece ML!!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Michael Lee, the hutch is wonderful, and will add such a cozy, homey feel to you kitchen area. I can't wait to see it all decorated in that perfect spot for which it was custom-made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a beautiful hutch you are going to have to go into that beautiful house.

    ReplyDelete
  18. when that day arrives....when the kettle is singing and the smell of lemon abounds in your new kitchen...will you take THAT moment to make a post and tell us all about it? Let us imagine we are there with you celebrating your new home and, of course, show us pictures of exactly where you are sitting when you write your sweet words.....those calming; yet exciting words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your kitchen is going to be amazing!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the hutch...my husband made me one last year, it is by far, the most precious piece of furniture in my home!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness Michael Lee! That hutch is amazing as is your kitchen. I'm sure whatever you choose will fit your style to perfection!!! Beautiful as alwasy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. He did a wonderful job. I love it!

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh - it is totally gorgeous and I'm sooo jealous!!! I have wanted a piece exactly like this one for ages. It will look wonderful in your new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks a little like my hutch :) I love that description of your grandmother's home.

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gosh, I'm so enjoying seeing your house come together! It's going to be so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That hutch is beautiful! It will look great in your house.

    ReplyDelete