Thursday, May 21, 2015

Foodie Friday and Everything Else--Pre-Memorial Day 2015


I'm so happy you've joined us at Foodie Friday and Everything Else. Are you ready for the weekend?
When I was a small girl, Memorial Day was a big event. The men hauled out the smoker and a charcoal grill, and the women would hang out in the kitchen. Everyone had a chore--someone was in charge of beverages; another gathered store-bought buns (and made cornbread, too). It took a village to orchestrate side dishes and desserts. The older kids helped the younger ones set the table, and Lord help you if the knives were turned the wrong way.

Meanwhile, the long driveway would fill up with cars and trucks, as relatives and friends arrived.  After dinner, we would drive to the cemetery and set out flowers and small flags. 


When I got older, I quickly learned that holiday cooking was a juggling act. I wasn't skilled at coordinating appetizers, an entree, side dishes, salad, bread, beverages, and dessert. Even with potlucks, the kitchen duty didn't end--I needed to find room in the fridge for guests' dishes to keep everything--and everyone--safe.
I still struggle with holiday cooking. Over the years, I've tested various dishes that promised to feed the multitudes. Some did, some didn't. Others aren't worth sharing (like the time I made a layered Napoleon pastry, and it came apart and skidded sideways onto the refrigerator shelf--when I opened the door, it flew out and hit my dress with a splat).
But some dishes are keepers.

Here are some fabulous keepers from last week's party:
From The Painted Apron ,we have a festive party ideas and recipes.

I think May is my favorite month, the beginning of summer, the Kentucky Derby, Cinco de Mayo, Mother’s Day, the end of school, Memorial day~ so many things to celebrate!!



***

Don't miss Berry Caprese Bruschetta by Home Is Where the Boat Is.

Berry Caprese Bruschetta is a perfect summer appetizer with berries in season. . . Perfectly Patriotic too with the red, white & blue from the strawberries, mozzarella and blueberries!

-- from Home Is Where the Boat Is



***


Lamberts Lately made a delicious Strawberry Pretzel Dip.

Everybody loves the strawberry pretzel salad dessert that's been so popular on Pinterest lately, but why not make it an easier-to-prepare dip?

--from Lamberts Lately


***


You'll love this fab DIY idea by Meatloaf and Melodrama--summer picnic Mason jars.

We do a ton of grilling once warm weather hits, and meals are always casual. I usually serve the food on our kitchen island or on the patio, if it happens to be cool enough. I needed something to keep the utensils in, so I made these fruit-inspired summer mason jars that are perfect to use at picnics, cookouts and just about anywhere else. 

--from Meatloaf and Melodrama


***



The Charm of Home made a gorgeous Buttermilk Strawberry Bundt Cake.

It is strawberry season and I had to bake a cake and use the strawberry blossoms before they are all gone.All parts of the strawberry plant are edible even the blossoms.  This cake had red dye in the original recipe but I took that out.  It doesn't really need any red dye to make it taste good.  




Food and memories come together beautifully in Sweet Nothings' Chocolate Cake.
I don't know what it is about memories...special little memories like a CHOCOLATE CAKE with PECANS ON TOP, that seem to stay with us all our lives. Those memories sure are a comfort...
Many times, when things aren't going smoothly in our life, it's these little memories that leap forward, straight out of our heart and make things much easier...PURE COMFORT, I think. 



***

Nothing is finer than a Strawberry Galette by Make Mine Lemon.

Finally, it’s strawberry season. I don’t think it is a coincidence that peak season for strawberries and Mothers’ Day coincides. I always think strawberries are Mother Nature’s gift to Mothers. I try to indulge as best I can when the season comes around.


***

Oregon Transplant made Chocolate Strawberry Popsicles--they look so cool and delicious--and she has a question for all of you food bloggers. Pop on over to Oregon Transplant for more popsicle recipes and share your blogging stories.

Ok, foodbloggers. Has this situation ever happened to anyone else?
You think of a quick little project that might make a good post. Say something simple, like popsicles. After you've dreamed up the concept, you then guesstimate that the project will take 10 minutes to complete. Then, smack in the middle of said "quick" project, everything goes south.



***

Homemade Interest made the cutest Red-White-and-Blue Cupcakes in a jar.

I love food in a jar! These Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes in a Jar are perfect for Memorial day or 4th of July cookouts.

--from Homemade Interest


***

Calling all tea fanciers--and chocolate lovers: Butteryum shows us how to bake button cookies. They are so cute!

Ok, how adorable are these button cookies?  Everybody loves chocolate sandwich cookies filled with creamy chocolate ganache.  They're good any time, but I think they're especially nice served with afternoon tea.

--from Butteryum

***
The Foodie Friday and Everything Else Link Party 

Guidelines to the Linky Party:
Older posts are welcome. 
No limit on the number of posts. 
No "rules." 
Everyone is welcome.

 To add a link, find the blue Inlinkz icon in the lower, left-hand portion of this post. Click on the icon and follow the directions, which includes selecting a thumbnail image. After you complete the process, you may see a red "x" (or mark) beside your name. This allows you to delete your link if you've made an error; the red "x" is visible to you only.

If you see a thumbnail you like, please visit the participating blog to "pin" photographs.

If you need more assistance with the party, an UPDATED guide to this linky party can be read HERE.

Share your food photos with a larger community at the Pinterest board, Top Food Bloggers.  Send me a message @ Pinterest if you'd like to join. Thanks so much for sharing your inspiring features.
Ready to put on your party shoes? Let's go!



19 comments:

  1. Your Memorial Day memories are so special Michael Lee, and I agree, serving the masses is not a task for the timid! I was lucky enough to have 3 days to myself to prepare before the family descends, everyone ready for their first summer weekend at the beach. I am flattered to see my summer recipes post highlighted, I will be making lots of those goodies! That strawberry cake is a work of art, and smart Mary always has something festive to share. I hope you and your family have a crackerjack holiday weekend, and thanks so much for faithfully hosting every week!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you, Zap and your family have a wonderful weekend and thanks so much for the party.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm drooling over all of that good food! Thanks so much for the feature, and have a lovely weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memorial Day was big in my family because my dad and his brothers served in WWII so they were always in the parade. Their father served in WWI, yes I do remember the little flags and some red, white , and blue crosses that we would put on the graves at the cemetery. Have a lovely weekend and thank you for the party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael Lee, Thanks so much for sharing my Berry Caprese Bruschetta. I feel like Memorial Day snuck up on me this year and I have family arriving for the holiday weekend tomorrow. I'm a lousy housekeeper and egads... the dust bunnies are huge! I would much rather cook than clean :) Wishing you a Happy Memorial Day Weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the party, Michael Lee and Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michael Lee! All the features that you've chosen are full of inspiration. Thanks for the party and Happy Memorial Day.
    p.s. How's Zap doing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the food party. I was glad to read your memories of Memorial Day. I don't really have any from that time when I was growing up. I remember the homemade camp stew I made with my great-aunt and my mom and the delicious all night smoked Boston butts my day would cook. Delicious memories. I've been following your blog, but I don't think I remember much from when I started following....I was born in Tennessee and I've written a cookbook, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Michael, I am so happy you liked my strawberry galette. I can't express how simple this is to make and it as good as the fruit that is put in it. I have a problem with wanting to spoon feed everyone when I find a great recipe. :)

    I have had my share of oops at gatherings, like the time I forgot to put baking powder in the cornbread and it turned out flatter than a hockey puck. My friends saved some and made a Christmas ornament just to remind me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for this wonderful party. I enjoyed reading about your Memorial Day memories. The only memory of Memorial Day that I have is going to the Parade! Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your stories of Memorial Day with your family reminds me of mine... With food flops included. One time a relative accidentally put salt, instead of sugar, into her pie. Needless to say it was not. good. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for hosting an awesome party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I've gotten older, I stress less and less about holiday food cooking. It seemed like on the days when everyone else was having fun and having a day off, I was working like crazy in the kitchen - now I try to make sure that I'm having fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many great features! I played flute in band and while in Junior High our marching band participated in the local town event for Memorial Day and we paraded through town and up to the cemetery. I wonder if anybody does that anymore?
    Thank you for hosting and have a great Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many wonderful features...I thank you deeply for featuring my humble Chocolate Cake feature.
    Happiest Memorial Day...we are having rain all this week and probably on Mon....NO complaints, tho. :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. FABULOUS features this week!!! Everything looks and sounds SO good. I still love your party the best, no rules or limits on posts is so nice!!! Wishing you a fun and stress free holiday weekend!!!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, so many I want to visit this week! Starting with Butteryum. I hope you all have a lovely and safe weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello cute lady! I get so excited to stop by your party each week. Love to party with you! We would love you to stop by our party. We pin and tweet everything! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for featuring my cake! Your watermelon centerpiece is pretty. Have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete