Friday, June 5, 2015

Bandwidth's Homemade Donuts with Peanut Butter Icing

Guess what? It's National Donut Day, so that means you must stop what you are doing this instant and eat a donut. It's an unwritten food law.




But how is this carb-packed concoction spelled? Is it donut or doughnut?
Not that it matters. Few things are more comforting than a warm donut. If you are having a terrible day, a donut will turn things around. 


Bandwidth was kind enough to make a homemade dough, then fry it up. He even cleaned the mess. 
Here's his recipe:

Make the Dough:

1/4 cup white granulated sugar
2/3 cup whole milk
1 packet (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 egg yolks

1. Place the sugar and milk in a saucepan and heat over a low flame until the mixture reaches 105 - 115 degrees F, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Into a bowl, add half of the milk/sugar mixture plus the yeast packet. Set aside. 
2. Sift flour and salt; make a "well" in the center. Place egg yolks in this center. Add the milk/sugar/yeast solution plus the remaining solution in your pan. Mix to form a dough. If it doesn't form correctly, add more flour. The flour will bind to any wet components and make a nice dough.
3. Dust a bowl with flour and add the dough. Cover with plastic wrap, then leave in a warm place for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until it has doubled in size. 
4. Remove dough and place on a floured surface; lightly knead the dough. Roll out to a 1/2-inch thickness. To cut the dough, you can use a donut w/ hold cut-out or you can improvise with ring molds (the come in graduated sizes). Just push down on the dough and twist. I used a large, empty sea salt container and a clean, empty sauce bottle to cut my dough. 
5. Place the donut cut-outs onto a lightly dusted baking sheet and cover with a tea towel. Let rise for 30 minutes. This is known as "bench proofing."
6. In a Dutch oven, heat 1 liter of vegetable oil to 365 - 375 degrees F. Add donut cut-outs one at a time. Fry 1 minute on each side. Remove and place on a drying rack (place newspaper beneath the rack to catch excess oil.) If desired, sprinkle each donut with a tablespoon of white sugar.

Tips:
*When heating milk/sugar/yeast mixture, an inexpensive infrared (or laser) thermometer removes the guesswork. (Yeast is so finicky.)
* For a sweeter donut, add extra sugar (at least 2 tablespoons) and vanilla extract to the dough.
* Don't fry more than three at a time.
* While you're frying, keep an eagle eye on the temperature of the oil
* If you have a bread machine, simply add the ingredients to the machine and set it to the dough cycle. This will proof the dough, too. Cool, then glaze.

A Simple Glaze
To make a simple glaze, heat 1/4 cup whole milk on low heat. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add 2 cups sifted confection's sugar. Stir the mixture gently (a gentle stir prevents a brittle glaze, the kind that shatters and falls down the front of your shirt when you bite into a donut). To frost, dip the donuts into the icing, then place on the rack. For variations, see below.

Peanut Butter Glaze
To make a peanut butter glaze, add 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter and 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips to the milk/vanilla mixture and blend. Add confection's sugar and stir gently. Garnish with chopped peanuts or mini-chocolate chips.

Chocolate Glaze
Add 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate to the milk/vanilla mixture. Then add confection's sugar and stir gently.


Happy Donut Day (and Happy Doughnut Day, too).


Shared at my fave link parties:
The Scoop,  



21 comments:

  1. o m g bandy i love you! i am not evena donut person, but these are singing to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a sugar crash, but I'll pass along your comment when he wakes. LOL The donuts/doughnuts were most excellent!

      Delete
  2. Yummy! Didn't know it was doughnut day and I love doughnuts! Your display and the doughnuts look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them but can't have them, so please have a couple for me. They look wonderful. A couple of them with a nice cup of coffee - now that is heaven.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look yummy! It's been years since I actually made doughnuts, but just hours since I indulged in one. I rarely buy a doughnut, but just had to have one with my coffee this afternoon. It was covered in chocolate. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing! How sweet that he cleans up -- mine still haven't gotten that memo. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks absolutely wonderful! I love making donuts at home, but I always bake them :) I have never done them like this, but I think I may have to try it out!

    Alexis @ chemistrycachet.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a guy your Bandy is, Michael Lee! I wish I lived close by so that I could stop by for one of those scrumptious looking donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that looks incredible! The peanut butter icing sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love doughnuts, but rarely make it myself. Actually, for doughnuts, just dust with icing sugar will really make me satisfied. But I really like the peanut butter glaze, guess it will be really good with muffin too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a doctor's appointment Friday morning and my doctor was very happy that I had lost 7 pounds. He then shared that it was Donut Day and that a local nursing home had sent several boxes of donuts to his office. Then he offered me one! I started laughing! Between my doctor offering me donuts and my husband pining for runs to our local ice cream parlor, my summer weight loss plan is in constant jeporady!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, doughnuts! These look yummy, thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Have a great weekend.
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, Yum. When we first married a neighbor of ours taught me how to make homemade donuts. I miss her and the fun we had while putting them together. I haven't made them in years. Now that it's just me, probably not a good idea I would eat them all and be 4' wide, 4' wide and very very happy. fondly ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my stars!!! These look amazing... and my hubby would love them!!! Donut are a Sunday morning thing at my home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy wow, and I don't even like donuts! I bet homemade ones are nothing like the donut shops~ peanut butter icing, yes please!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those look so good! I just realized I haven't had a donut in a LONG time.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. If donuts pass under my nose, I have to eat one (or two). Shhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look delicious! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If I had a donut, it would be in my mouth right now LOL These looks really good!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. How on earth did I miss National Donut Day! The bigger question is how did my husband, who is the big donut fan in our family, miss it? These look so yummy, especially the peanut butter glaze ones.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's 10 at night, I am having tea and wish I had a donut.....ummmmm

    ReplyDelete