Monday, July 20, 2015

Renovation Diary--Mid July Update

With our renovation deadline approaching, everyone is doing a mad dash to finish the interior--painters, electricians, plumbers. Everything is moving at warp speed, and I can barely keep up. When this journey ends, I just want to sit on the porch with a giant margarita and relax.

A quick recap:  Just a few weeks ago, a few windows had been replaced, but the shake hadn't been installed.

Stacked stone will be installed on the remaining bricks (round room). Then the clean-up will begin--it will be epic with 99 degree temps and billions of leaves.

Last week, shake went up on the garage elevation. A fresh coat of BM White Dove will freshen the garage doors. The plan is to eventually add shutters and a cedar trellis (over the garage doors). 

Our next project: repurposing and adding curb appeal to the old carport.

 It sits beneath the (2nd story) screened porch--and it has a great view. I've been picking up outdoorsy vibes for this space, maybe a potting room, but I've been tossing out other ideas. Bandwidth thought the room was too far away from the kitchen to be used as an grilling space. 
Above the stone walls, the area is open. Bermuda shutters may feel too beachy for this mountain home, but they are attractive and would allow for ventilation--I'm not sure how much protection they'd give during a thunderstorm. Still, they haven't been eliminated. 
Another idea is to screen the area. 

But we have time to think.

The next few weeks will be a whirlwind. I still haven't chosen a paint color for the lone brick wall (shake won't be going on the southern elevation), and I need to (lightly) faux paint five sconces. 

Bandy's job is to repaint the Adirondack chairs. 

Hydrangeas and ferns are waiting to be potted . . . 
I'm looking forward to feathering our new nest. 


  1. Love the updates. I am so excited you are nearing the end. Hoping for lower temps for the clean up, though.

  2. I can't wait to see it all done, it is amazing so far.

  3. So excited for you! I know you will fluff the house beautifully...and enjoy that margarita! sheila

  4. Your dedication to detail is paying off but I have just one little problem, I'm thinking when the reno is done the "Ranchberger" deserves a new name, a more sophisticated name. Can't wait to be invited to the grand open house!


  5. Omg I can't hardly wait to see it all done! You have such a great style that inspires me :)

  6. Oh, it is getting exciting...almost there! Can't wait...

  7. Wow just a few more weeks and you'll be in there!

  8. Such fun to get these updates, Michael Lee! It looks amazing. Can't wait to see it after you are moved in and settled.

  9. h wow, things are getting so close and really moving along. I hope the weather has been cooperating with you so you can get things planted. Its been so humid and hot here that I've been hibernating indoors.

    Cant wait to see what you decide about the old carport!

  10. Hi Michael Lee! Oh, everything is looking wonderful! I'm so happy for you. I too hope the weather will be nice so everything outside can be completed! Aren't you so excited? I'm excited for you and can't wait for you to get in that lovely place and go to town!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

  11. So loving how everything has evolved to sheer beauty...I am sure you are anxious to sit and enjoy that Margarita!!

  12. So's going to be great!!!

  13. I am just picturing you there, sitting on your newly painted Adirondack chair, sipping your margarita! It won't be long!!

  14. Everything is coming together so beautifully, Michael. The addition of the shakes certainly has given the pool area a wonderful facelift. Regarding the carport, personally I think I would opt for screening it in namely because of the view and its above screened-in porch whereas another option might be is the application of exterior grade (roller) shades that would provide several options of control. i.e: Aesthetics, ventilation, weather and the view. -Brenda-

  15. It's all working out nicely!

    I like your ideas. Keep up the good work.

  16. It is looking gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!