Monday, October 19, 2015

Afternoon Tea at the Farm


Five years ago, I fell in love with four old green cups. They didn't have saucers, but that didn't stop me. I turned over a cup--the bottom was smooth and unmarked. If you are a dish addict, and I am, matched sets are for sissies, and these cups were lovely, like something Martha Stewart had displayed in her renovating book New Old House. Without hesitation, I cradled the cups in my arms and scurried to the check-out counter.


One fine day, I paired them with peppy orange dishes, a tea set, and green glassware. Suddenly I was whisked away to the Cotswolds, having tea in a sunny garden. Dishes are that way: magical.
The tea set has darling little pieces. Each one resembles a thatched cottage. Rose from Second Hand Rose, who lives in the UK, identified the set as Burlington Ware (made in England). 

My much-loved bunny tureen (Fitz and Floyd) and faux paper whites were called into action for a centerpiece.

I love floral dishes because they really do brighten a table and seem to banish chilly days. That's just one reason I was drawn to these plates. They were made by Poppytrail/Metlox in the 60s. The pattern is "Sculptured Zinnia."
The old green glassware looks so pretty on a sunny table.

An old Fostoria pitcher fit right in.


For a while, I was caught up in little thatched English cottages, bunnies, sunflowers, and mysterious green teacups.























Shared at:

21 comments:

  1. I LOVE that bunny tureen! I really just love the whole set-up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every little piece of your table setting. I would hate to have to choose my favorite...though your glasses really whisper to me. Beautiful. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, you are a woman after my own heart; I find dishes absolutely addicting. When I was much, MUCH younger, and I would ask my mother what she wanted for Christmas, she would reply, "Pretty dishes." I was completely flummoxed by her response, but I get it now...and I want those green cups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! What a wonderful treat to see this beautiful and fun post...I love my dishes too. Thank you for a delightful way to start my Monday.
    Joyously,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know what a delightful experience it was to read your post today. Your zinnia poppytrail plates are nostalgic for me as it was one of my wedding patterns. I still have it and have used it twice in tablescapes over the last five years on my blog. I remember you doing another post years back with it and I always thought you did such a great job showcasing the pattern. Is this a reprise? Your photography is impressive. Thanks again. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love the old Poppytrail/Metlox patterns? When I was a girl, I would haunt jewelry stores (in the old days, they were the bridal stores, too) and dream about dishes. Remember the Sculptured Daisy? And the grapes? This is a very old post, way back in 2009, when I used Zinnia Poppytrail. The photos are itty bitty. I need to do a new one when I move! http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/2009/04/tangerine-tablescape-thursday-with.html?m=1

      Delete
  6. You have such exquisite taste! I love dishes too. What is it about women and dishes?
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael Lee, this is so delightful. I wish I could climb into my computer and sit at this charming tea time table. Your dishes bring back memories. I didn't register for these patterns, but I have many high school friends who did. I remember the daisy pattern. Your zinnia pattern is exquisite with the raised detail. The bunny tureen is adorable!
    Thanks for sharing. I certainly qualify as a dish addict! '-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, dish addict here too. I had to get rid of three sets in my last move, and I still think that was a mistake, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My MIL had those plates~brings back a lot of memories...your table is stunning in that lighting~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty tea table, Michael Lee, filled with such lovely dish treasures and glassware. I think, if I could, I would buy a new set of dishes every day. That's why I've taken to teacups.....I can switch them out seasonally and bring them out like new friends, and mix them up with different plates. I guess I've been a dish addict most of my life, and still mourn some of the dishes that I've gotten rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your adorable thatched cottage tea set and who needs matching saucers?! Your blooming sculpted zinnia plates are so sunny and bring a smile to my face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love the all of your dishes, Michael. I just love all old dishes, cups, etc. I am truly a dish addict and dread the day when I have to down size and get rid of them. Hopefully some of my friends will like them.
    Have a great week,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every detail is beautiful. I love mix and match too, the thatched cottage tea set and yes, your darling green cups. Only wish I was there to have a cup too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh so cute! I love those glasses with the green stems - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Put the kettle on, I'll bring the scones!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The bunny tureen is so adorable as for the green cups I am going to show my husband the picture of them as for some reason they look familiar to me and I am wondering if his mother owned a set as she like yourself had a passion for dishware. -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous photos! Every derail is amazing. Wonderful post you have! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete