Monday, November 2, 2015

Date Night Style for Slobs

Long ago, the Girl planned an old fashioned date night. She imagined stopping by a restaurant and consuming vast quantities of spaghetti and garlic bread, then she imagined walking to the local cinema to see The Martian. 

Year-round, the local Roxy was so cold, it made the Girl's teeth chatter.  That's why she decided to dress in layers. Comfortable, stretchy layers so she could eat Milk Duds to her heart's content.

The Girl chose a long fringed sweater/shawl, black jeans, and a black cowl-neck top.

Because it was date night, she added some costume jewelry. 

Her charm necklace made a tink-tink-tink sound as she walked to the car.

Halfway to the car, her husband's voice stopped her. "Are you sure you're ready?" he asked.
Everybody's a critic. On the other hand, the Girl is a slob, one who craves comfort above all else. 
What did she forget this time? 
All zipped and buttoned up? Yes, yes.
Did her shoes match? Yes.
Hair too wild? Well . . . that's a given. Her hair has its own zip code. Unless it had burst into flames, the girl was ready.   

Somewhere far away, in an alternative universe, another wild-haired Girl reached for bobby pins. 

The plan was to watch The Martian in 3-D, and the Girl knew she'd swat at objects as they drifted from the screen. She replaced the noisy jewelry with an old, very quiet choker.  
A good time was had by all.

 Timeline Note: This fun date happened several weeks ago, when the Girl wasn't under the weather.

Shared at:
Sundays Down Under


  1. You look exquisite, Michael Lee. Love your hair pinned up! I'd never use the word slob to describe you. Elegant ~ that is a perfect description of the lady in this post. '-)
    I heard the movie is good. What did you think?
    Hope this means you are feeling healthy again. Have a good week.

    1. No, I'm still in pajamas, eating full liquids--no popcorn ever again. The photos were taken weeks ago before I got ill.

    2. I totally forgot to answer about the movie. Yes, it was great! I'm trying to get well so I can see Spectre.

  2. Every year, on my husband and I's anniversary, we always plan on going to a super-fancy restaurant in Huntington, about an hour away. And every year, we always show up in Huntington in our dirty jeans, do a little shopping, and end up at our favorite taco bar. We are not so good at getting dressed up and being fancy :) I love the black and brown outfit, by the way :) Hope you are feeling better!

  3. Oh, the girl looks beautiful! This girl covets that girl's gorgeous hair! Wow, it's gorgeous! Your tiny little figure looks great in anything. I'm praying you're feeling so much better! I'm off to help my daughter make curtains! I'm such a wonderful mommy! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

  4. I love both styles, Michael Lee, but with 3-D the choker is a much better choice!! Besides all that, how sophisticated your French twist is with the gorgeous choker. Hope you and your hubby enjoyed the movie! I took my grandsons to a 3-D movie not long ago, and I realized how much I enjoyed them.

  5. Love it. And I love that girl's necklace! Comfort above all else. And Milk choice too. Sheila E

  6. You are just so and your words.....
    Hope your Monday is peaceful and dry.. in spite of the downpours of rain we are having...
    Love, Mona

  7. I'm a sucker for pearls but you look beautiful both ways! Lovely pics

  8. You look beautiful! Clearly we have similar styles -- capes, cowl necks, and comfortable shoes. The hair is another story.

  9. My, goodness! I'm learning about your health episode after the fact, so I'm so relieved to hear you're recuperating and on-the-mend! What a year! Having your sweet potting shed back has to help you feel more at home in your new place.
    Perfect date-night outfit for spaghetti (hides the errant splashes) :) . Oh, and red licorice, M & M peanuts, Junior Mints, etc, etc, make great movie treats too. I'm still waiting to outgrow my sweet truth.

  10. Michele, you look stunning. Beautiful hair, up or down. Love the outfit and it looks terrific on you. So glad that you enjoyed dinner and the movie. Get well soon. No popcorn for you anymore.

  11. Hope you feel all better soon. Glad you enjoyed a date night.

    Take care,

  12. i am home now and back with unlimited bandwidth, it may be dicey, but slowly it revealed all these DARLING pics, what a treat to see such a cute slob! slob??? the south must be very diff then the west, you are just too dainty and girlie if your movie ensemble is slobbish... wheres the mossy teeth, ratted bird nest sleep hair, pajamas and t-shirt with uggs??? very fun to see you having such a good time, how was the movie? did you read the story about the author being self published, he wanted it out there for free but amazon made him charge, it was hit, then a publisher and movie deal, such a happy success story! he also said nasa people would write him to correct his info and being self published he kept changing it along the way.

    our book club has movie night next month, I am in charge of the concession stand you know its going to be milk duds galore~

  13. Wow, lady. If this is how you dress as a slob, I shudder to think of what you would call my slouchy outfits. After I left the working world and became a full time grandmother/child care provider, I have become what I call slouchy. Very slouchy. I think you look positively glamorous! Hope you are feeling better each day.

  14. Slob? I think not! Your up-sweep is just lovely!

  15. Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby! LOVE both your choices in necklaces. As for stretchy pants; IMO "they are the best invention since sliced bread" .... ☺. -Brenda-

  16. Oh look MARVELOUS, Dahlink!! Simply beautiful with your hair either up or down! The pearls are classic but I liked the chain too. I ADORE your sweater shawl though...GORGEOUS!! I never put brown & black together but I may have to start after seeing this.
    I didn't realize it was popcorn that caused your diverticulitis when I commented yesterday. It is my downfall as well, I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER eat it again...sadly. Just not worth the agony!
    I'm so glad you're doing better now.

  17. You are making me feel good about my comfy black "uniforms". Must go dig through my jewelry and need to replenish my shawl supply! You look fabulous by the way!