Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Mid-Week Tinkering

First, I'd like to thank you all for the great comments on the man cave. I tend to get snowblind very easily, and you all set me on the right path. Thanks go out to Yolie Brown for helping me solve an issue with my narrow dining room. Rather than moving the round table in here, I'm going to leave it where it is for now and see how the long, mahogany table looks. 




You may remember that this room had a dark pattern in the middle of the floor, but it was sanded and refinished.



The fabric is a dusky green-yellow, muted and lovely. So happy we don't have to buy draperies here!

Because this is a narrow space, there's no room for a buffet. I'll hang art on the wall (below). The far left side should have room for a table.






We spent a long time at the house today, mainly because we were waiting for the cable repairman. I tried the wintery Pottery Barn bedding (and realized just how out of shape I am--I was wringing wet by the time I'd stuffed the duvet into the spread!).  The red/black buffalo duvet is on backorder. I'm going to enjoy the neutral walls--this will surely make things easier to change the bedding seasonally, if I ever get in shape.


Plantation shutters have been ordered for the windows. I'm not quite ready to think about draperies or a rug. Still need a headboard.








A little inspiration.


The main thing about this house is the view. At night, it's like being in Gatlinburg with all of the twinkling lights.





Let's move up to the man cave. 

Tyler hooked up the Roomba, and each time it got near the staircase, I held my breath--but the little robot always turned away at the last second.

We tried the porch furniture in the man cave. Not man-friendly (certainly not Saint Bernard dog friendly--actually, I meant husband friendly), and the English pub vibe isn't there, but the chairs are super cute. They'll eventually go on the porch.



Tyler measured for a television--hopefully we'll have the Directv hooked up this week. I was
too puny to move the rug. 

I discovered that the bar lights up--and has navy/orange stained glass.


I looked out the window and was thrilled to see the cute shed.




Now we're moving to the other end of the house. This hallway connects two bedrooms. Love the glossy black spindle sconces. I found them at Shades of Light, but unfortunately, they've been discontinued. I wish I'd bought a 3rd fixture for the stairwell. (However, I still have an iron sconce from the Georgian's bathroom, and Tyler promised to paint it black.)


I forgot to bring the bird sconces--they'll go up soon. Note to self: find a shower curtain.




Last but not least, the old carport is getting a little makeover. It will be screened, with a door.  

My plan was to make this a little garden room, because I hadn't really believed that the potting shed would every make it here. But I still like the idea of a garden room. The Georgian also came with a huge mirror, and I'm thinking of revamping it with chalkboard paint. It will go on the wooden wall, I think. If I can rustle up the energy. I will add a garden table, wicker chairs, lots of fun stuff.

Shared at:

24 comments:

  1. Hi Michael Lee! So glad to hear you were feeling well enough to spend time at your burger! Take care of yourself and don't do too much. As my little mother used to say, don't do too much and get a back set! :) Anyway, your new home is so grand and has so much charm at the same time! It just keeps getting prettier and prettier! Now you take care.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your mother's words of wisdom. So true! I was thinking of you the other day when I heard that Downton Abbey only has one more season. I'll miss it, won't you?

      Delete
  2. I love these tours..and that incredible VIEW! So much fun to watch your progress. Don't wear yourself out stuffing that duvet!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing the plaid duvet was backordered--I'll have time to mentally prepare myself. The process is like stuffing a turkey in the dark!

      Delete
  3. Your floors and your VIEWS are truly magnificent. Glad you are a tiny bit better. don't over-do it.

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that bedding, your shed is adorable, and the views are terrific! Ps- the lights in the bar are totally cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that bedding and had my eye on it. What wonderful views!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michael Lee, I can see that we are all amazed by those views!! It is no wonder that you fell for this house. It must be nice to look out one window and see the little garden shed waiting for you. I'm laughing at your struggles with the duvet. Every time I change one I wonder why I keep using them, but then when I see it on the bed, so plush and welcoming, I remember. Love the red for winter! Just a heads up on the plantation shutters for your planning: I have some and you will need to remember that when they are swung open they will take up space in the corners and where you need the bedside tables. But you can also leave them closed and just open the slats. Except for the space issues I love all of mine. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those duvet covers are a pain in the neck. I was shopping in Bowling Green yesterday and ended up in a sweat! Ha! I hate that! The house is looking lovely. It's fun to tag along and watch...without the sweating and hard work. Ha. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful home. I like those big skylights in the master bedroom. I'm imagining them being a nice feature when waking up in the morning and looking up to them. You need to move in and start to live there and enjoy it and not worry about all the details. They'll iron out soon enough. I adore the garden shed and would find myself at the window looking at it often! You have a grand home- love it! Speaking of grand- do you have a grand (or mini grand) piano? I can visualize one in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but it's the Saint Bernard's dream to have one that plays itself. :-)

      Delete
  9. I love those floors and the view is so beautiful. You picked a lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sit down, pat yourself on the back, let out a big sigh. Repeat. It sounds like you're trying to make up for lost time. It will all get done in due time. You haven't been crazy enough to host a holiday gathering at your home, have you? It's coming together beautifully. When you mentioned something feeling "off", it appeared in the photos of the man cave that the only thing that was off was the size of the rug under the furniture grouping which you had already mentioned. I don't mind the lighter feel of the current seating as I feel it "lightens" the room by juxtaposing the heavy bar area, but I can see where it might not be as comfortable for men folk to lounge upon. Those views are spectacular! They make me sigh. I think screening the carport was a great choice as it's apt to keep nesting rodents at bay. Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your home is really lovely, Michael Lee! I love it and know you and your family will too. May God bless you and your home and may many happy memories be made there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thank you so much for your kind wishes!

      Delete
  12. Wow I love the floors, Michael Lee, and the fabulous chandelier in the DR!! Your bedding is going to look so pretty for Winter. I know you're anxious to get things arranged, but don't overdo it. Enjoy those lovely views, especially at night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so much fun to follow along as you slowly make this house into your home. It is a beautiful structure due to your creative ideas. Everything you have changed with this house has made it realize its' full potential. It is simply and charmingly - absolutely lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! Thanks for the shout out! I feel very humbled and so, so glad to have been able to be of help to you. The internet is such a amazing tool for building unique relationships, is it not?

    I actually like your RH table in the breakfast area. I supposed you could darken the wood and change the upholstery at some point if you are looking for more of an antique sort of feeling. But it looks nice now, too.

    This house is going to be wonderful every season of the year. That view....!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've got quite the house there! Those views are incredible! Love to see how you are going to make it into your home! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am loving each and every inch of your home....the chandelier is stunning and the views the same. Love that PB winter bedding....and crushing on those wicker chairs....Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in love with your new home - the views, the incredible amount of storage you have, the spaciousness of the rooms. Wow. It's finally coming together and I am so pleased for you.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have the most lovely ceilings in that house and the views out of the bedroom are fabulous! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete