Sunday, November 22, 2015

Social Media Stories: A Pinning Misadventure

 
A long time ago, a friend sent an invitation to join Pinterest. In those days, you had to be invited. I wasn't sure about Pinterest's function, and I didn't have time to learn because I was up to my neck in a work project. Years went by, and I forgot all about the site. Last November, I finally spent a little time on Pinterest and began to pin with gusto--I had the best time ever. I didn't realize that I was doing it all wrong, but that's typical Mlee behavior. I'm a slow learner.
When I saw a beautiful image or an enticing recipe, I "liked" it and oftentimes, I repinned. Then one day, a pinner banned me from her boards. I did not know this person, but her beautiful pins always stood out in my feed (the old format at Pinterest). She wasn't a blogger or a local friend; yet I felt like I "knew" her through her images. I was so upset with myself, but at the same time, I wondered what I'd done to merit a harsh reproach. In my defense, I hadn't known that her boards had rules. In this case, I had repinned three pictures, probably from the same board, and I'd done it all at once. I was guilty of "liking" dozens of images, though. 

I quickly realized that some pinners had taken time to create their boards, and they didn't want someone else to swoop in and "mine" their boards. I hadn't done that. Still, I felt terrible that I'd upset someone to the point where they'd kicked me off their board. I did a little research, and I discovered that some pinners have guidelines and rules on their boards.  I'll admit that it surprised me a little. After all, pinning and repinning was the whole spirit of PINterest, right? That said, if a board had a policy, I moved on. No need to tempt fate. There were plenty of great images out there. Plenty of other pinners who enjoyed sharing.
Better safe than sorry--or banned.
I'm always happy when someone pins an image from my boards, and I added a note to reflect my philosophy:

Michael Lee West


Thanks for visiting my Pinterest boards. Pin away! No limit.

This happened a year ago. I should add that Pinterest didn't ban me--it was one pinner who didn't want me to pin from her boards. While I don't share that philosophy, I respect it. Me, I love to pin, and I've had a busy year making new boards--and friends--at Pinterest. But the experience did give me a pause. I seldom repin, even when I find striking images, unless I know the pinner (and know they enjoy pinning as much as I do). Also, Pinterest's format changed, and half the time, I can't even see what my friends are pinning. Also, the rules for individual boards aren't static--they're always changing--and I probably won't know until it's too late. Rules within rules are a part of social media, and sometimes they change when I'm not looking.

Because I wanted to find fresh images for my boards, I created Hummingbird Cottage at Tumblr. I try to source images and recipes as best I can. Hummingbird is where I find most images, though it could already be a no-no in Pinland. Certainly one must be responsible when it comes to images. As for the etiquette, I just can't keep up.

What's your pinning style? How do you keep track of the changing etiquette?
I've been tumbling up a storm today, sharing images that I love, and I'm always happy when someone "pins" an image to Pinterest. If you are on Tumbler, would you let me know? I'd like to follow you.


Visit Michael Lee's profile on Pinterest.

38 comments:

  1. I have no idea, except thast whenever possible if I want to repin a pin, I go there and then see where THEY found it (so often a fellow blogger, and deserves credit when able) so then I pin from THERE. It takes one more click, but hopefully I am doing it right.

    As for my friends who I am following? They show up on the main pin page - not categorized, but just if they pin something. I didn't friend/like many because I like to find my own pins. I am not a pro at it in any way shape or form.

    Would love to follow yours though, and you are free to follow mine. : - ) I only do a few a day, as time allows, usually during a pinning teatime moment. : - ) Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had no idea! I just go in and search for whatever I'm looking for at the moment and then pin it....there are RULES???? Wow.

    Now I'm scared!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I began seeing guidelines on users' boards--how many pins and likes per day, per board, and so on and so forth. The policies vary from pinner to pinner. And that's why it's hard for me to keep track. So, it's up to the individual (as I understand it). I just read Brenda's comment, and I feel much better about pinning--after all, we are pinning at a place called PINterest. :-) That says it all, IMHO.

      Delete
    2. Wow, I had no idea either. Never heard of anything like that happening.

      Delete
    3. It happens. Google "please pin respectfully."

      Delete
  3. I'm a pinning fiend. I only have a few hundred followers on every other social media site. But nearly 93,000 on Pinterest. (Buy hey, I've PINNED about 63,000 pins!) Now how on earth did that happen? I have no earthly idea. I just pin what I like, and I've pinned more than 3 from a site before. Heck, I'd be flattered if someone pinned more than 3 from mine! So just pin as you like, because you can't possibly keep up with the ever changing rules. And when I am sent an email that says they had to remove a pin, they graciously say that it was nothing I did, but someone before. I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I just pin! Now as for the rules for FB, I don't even want to start. I pretty much just post a post or read the feed and keep my mouth shut. Only way I can stay out of trouble.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy when someone repins something. I love sharing, and I know you do, too. As for FB, I find it very frustrating.

      Delete
  4. Blessings to you!
    PIN away and be of good cheer. We out here in blogland adore pins.
    May you have the best THANKSGIVING ever.
    Blessings,
    d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right--bloggers are so generous with their boards. I hope you have a wonderful turkey day!

      Delete
  5. Pin "rules" are stupid! Just another bit of me...me...me. If you don't want people looking and pinning, make your boards private...and get over yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pin away Michael Lee! I have several boards and so far have never encountered a problem. (Touch wood.) From what you have described though, reminds of when one might inquire about recipe and that person doesn't want to share it, regardless that they got it from someone else .... ☺. That said; how are you expected to respond to someone like that? -Brenda-

      Delete
    2. That was my only time to be banned, and I hope it's the last. LOL

      Delete
    3. P.S.: You (or anyone else for that matter) are welcome to pin from mine but a warning; they are a probably a little boring compared to some ... ☺. Search: mrsben2. -Brenda-

      Delete
  6. i don't think i grasp the concept of pinning, for me, instead of downloading 1000s of pics a month, now i just pin them, if there are rules i am not following them. first let me say, ITS NOT THEIR IMAGES! they didn't create the pics, how dare some stranger decide what you can and cannot copy, JUST LIKE THEY DID! i used to get furious when people came and stole my pics from my blog without saying a word and pinning them, i thought that was the highest form of RUDE. now i couldn't care less, but the whole idea that others claim control of pics they did not create as their own is just plain wrong, we are only seeing the beauty of the orginal creator, the rest are just middlemen with no rights in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. I totally agree about the intellectual property. A while back, I had an interesting discussion about this with an editor.

      Pinning has saved space on my laptop, too, thank goodness.

      Delete
  7. I do love Pinterest, and to me it's just my personal filing system. I have boards for my blog, and sincerely hope my readers find them helpful but they are mainly for me, to find and organize things I love, or want to experience... social media is too self involved for me, I tend to ignore it...I sincerely appreciate your selflessness, honesty, and Foodie Friday and everything else, no rules, who cares...lighten up people! Ok, I feel better now :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about SM. I am very frustrated with all of it.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed this post, although I must admit I've not opened that can of worms called Pinterest yet. I've peeked, but I'm afraid I'd spend way too much time piddling and pinning and, perhaps, even getting banned for failure to follow the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good grief, I didn't know there were rules. I just pin away too. Wow, learn something every day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rules? What rules? This is news to me; however, I do see from time to time on a blog to pin from the original source. A couple of times I've been notified by Pinterest that they have deleted a pin I've pinned....going on to say there's nothing I did but it had sort of copyright attached to it....no problem, my bad! I'm a pinning fool I tell ya but I sure didn't know about any rules. Maybe someone should do a post about all the Pinterest rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Pinterest has only a few rules. As with most of social media, some individuals create their own boundaries, say, on their pin boards, Twitter, TumbIr, etc. It just took me a while to figure this out. I am still figuring out how to blog. :-) I must live in a bubble.

      Delete
  11. Yikes, I am a pinning fool! Haven't run into any problems yet. Hey, my pins are your pins, I say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL My experience did not make me pin less. I'm a pinning fool, too.

      Delete
  12. Gulp - I've followed you and repinned from your boards a LOT! You are so inspiring. Pinterest became a total obsession with me for a while - lots of images to amp up my creativity to new ideas and projects, lots of fantastic recipes, and just fun things. You are more than welcome to pin anything from my boards - Pipchippin - I think the whole purpose of Pinterest is sharing and enjoying our love of home, family and friends.

    And thank you always for all the inspiration you share. I will try to pin more wisely - but I save anything that will keep me constantly trying new things and being inspired! Hugs to you at this wonderful season, Pippa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pippa, you have gorgeous boards. Keep doing what you're doing!

      Delete
  13. I had no idea there were 'rules; for pinning. I was always flattered when someone picked off one of my pins. I am going to be more comfortable pinning your pins, since I won't get in trouble doing that. I am a bit afraid to pin now.
    Nonie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't be afraid. That wasn't my intention. So sorry! I think the folks who have rules on their pin boards are few and far between. I have only encountered one like that.

      Delete
  14. Like so many others...I did not know there were rules. Rules. At my age I just don't deal well with tons of rules. I pin for fun. I recently noticed that a large ky car dealership was pinning from my Kentucky board. But those pics were not "my" pics, they came from elsewhere. I am just happy that someone discovers MyKentuckyLiving on Pinterest. ha. I just pin for fun because I am a visual person. I will keep my eyes open for "rules" as I want to avoid them on Pinterest. ha.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you--a visual person. I enjoy Pinterest: it's a playground, but it has also helped me find info about my diverticulitis, along with ideas for the burger house. That's a wide spectrum, and I love that. However, I'm careful to not like or pin from boards that have rules, as I am a trouble magnet. LOL But that hasn't stopped me from pinning or having fun one bit.

      Delete
  15. Yeesh, who knew! I jumped on the Pinterest wagon late in the game too just because I was afraid to get "caught up in it." Then when I did, I got sucked right in! I'm dumbfounded about individual restrictions. It seems that everything these days ends up getting skewed. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never heard of these rules! But I admit that while I was a rabid pinner in the beginning three years ago, I haven't done much lately. I was surprised to see I have over 3000 pins! I invite you to pin whatever I have, and as many at once as you like. Find me here - https://www.pinterest.com/craftnut2012/ - I have a Thanksgiving Parade board that is really fun this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness, I have been pinning for years and never knew people had rules. I was always flattered when someone re-pinned something on one of my boards. I do the same as someone said above and go to the source of the pin. Mainly because I want to be sure there is a source. Some of the pins just lead to a marketing page and some lead to nowhere at all and I don't re-pin those no matter how much I might like them because I don't want to spread these blind alley pins--especially the recipes that don't lead back to an actual recipe! Such a waste of time. I just say a big ol' "phooey on you" to those who have "rules!" Ha!

    ReplyDelete