Monday, November 23, 2015

Turkey Pot Pie

The French know what to do with leftovers--add cream sauce and wrap in puff pastry.
That's what we plan to do this Thanksgiving. We're going to transform leftovers into a savory pie.



Turkey Pot Pie
chopped, pre-cooked turkey
green peas, pre-cooked
glazed carrots, pre-cooked 
sauteed mushrooms
finely chopped onions and celery (sautee)
flour, butter, chicken stock (quantities depend on how much turkey and leftover veggies you have, and the size of your casserole--start with 2 T of butter and flour. "Eyeball" the stock--it's hard to mess this up! I don't measure; I add a few tablespoons at a time until the sauce is the way I like it).
1 chicken bouillon cube or chicken stock
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 package puff pastry, thawed
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, gray French sea salt
Saute onions and celery; add mushrooms. Set aside. In a separate saute pan, melt butter (I used 1/2 stick) and a glob (I used 2 T.) of all purpose flour. Blend well.
Slowly add chicken stock and bouillon to pan. Whisk. Aim for the consistency of a store-bought pot pie--not too thick, not runny.
Sprinkle flour over puff pastry sheets (there are only 2 sheets in a package) and roll out (again, choose your own thickness). Place 1 sheet into the bottom of a baking dish. Trim the edges of puff pastry and set aside. (You can roll these out and cut them with a cookie cutter for a cute "topper" on the crust.)
Add turkey/leftover vegetable mixture to the baking dish-put on the bottom layer of the puff pastry. Pour cream sauce over the leftovers and stir. Add a bit more sauce, if you like (depending on the consistency you want). Stir.
Top the veggie/turkey mixture with the second puff pastry sheet. Trim the edges, crimp (or fold), and score with a knife.
Garnish with leftover pastry.
Preheat oven, 400 degrees.
Beat one egg and brush it over the crust.
Place pie in oven and bake 25 minutes or until puffy and brown.
Top with gray French sea salt (we found it at Publix in the spice aisle).


This is just about the best way to deal with holiday turkeys (though I am fond of turkey salad, too, and turkey-bacon sandwiches on homemade bread). But that's not why I love this recipe. There's just something soothing about a puff pastry pie--it's comforting to prepare it, to smell the aromas during the baking process, and (of course) to stick your fork into the pie. The taste is down-home and heart warming; it's true comfort food, the perfect one-pot meal on a cold winter night.
What's your favorite recipe for leftover turkey?

13 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I just might have to make this on Friday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I swing by for some post Thanksgiving turkey pot pie? Looks delicious! I will need to give this a try because I love pot pies. I am a one dish kind of cook, i.e. casseroles, etc. I have a son in law from IN who did not grow up eating casseroles according to my daughter...Surely casseroles are not just a southern thing. ha! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking that we would have a blast if we got together!

      Delete
  3. I love a good pot pie and that looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds yummy. I usually make turkey and noodle, and/or turkey and rice soup. Want be happening this time as I am not cooking a turkey.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always make a creamy casserole with homemade egg noodles, and always always always make turkey rice soup - but my husband won't eat soup so I usually have a bowl or two then give to my sister or one of my daughters. I seldom freeze soup, though occassionally I do in double freezer zip locks in a manageable size...cuz I am the only one who will eat it around here.

    Your philo dough turkey bake looks absolutely scumptuous. I am getting so hungry seeing it. Yay! It's almost turkey day! (Though we make turkey at least once a quarter, as it is easy and feeds many fairly leanly and definately frugally!)

    Enjoy your holiday, ML! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, Michael Lee, and love a puff pastry crust! I don't even care if it has a bottom crust, as just the top, flaky, crunchy crust can satisfy me. How great of you to share this recipe with us. Happy Thanksgiving blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, I picked up some puff pastry to do baked brie, but I think I'll save a sheet for a small pot pie. You are so right, the French do know how to deal with leftovers, LOL! I usually make several dishes with leftover turkey, including Tom Burgers - dark meat with barbeque sauce and the leftover cranberry sauce on onion buns. Of course we have to have turkey and bacon sandwiches on sourdough bread the next day. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like some now! In fact, I am so exhausted that I'm thinking the day after Thanksgiving is going to be my pick day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not only does this sound delicious, it is a gorgeous presentation. We aren't having turkey this year, but I'm sharing this with the chef. He loves a good pot pie!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy, just popping in to wish you a very happy holiday! Are you in the new kitchen?

    ReplyDelete