Friday, November 13, 2015

Window Shopping in Nashville

 On impulse, we drove to Nashville and enjoyed a little window shopping, something we haven't done in many years. It's true that I am very attached to certain objects (insert background music, Barbra Streisand singing "Memories"), and I resist buying new furniture. Nevertheless, I didn't hesitate to embark on this new design adventure.

The goal wasn't to rush and buy something--but to see what was available and to be inspired. (I've fallen into a bit of a design slump. Also, it doesn't help that I'm a hopeless pillow ho. Pillows all over the joint. Pillow ho'dom can ignite confusion and result in hoarding situations.)

 At Ethan Allen, a charming, bow-tied interior designer looked at printed photos of the man cave, then he led me to the "Chesterfield," a 101-inch sofa. I am always suspicious of sofas with high arms, mainly because we'd owned one in the 80s: the arms were much higher and rigid. But "Chesterfield" was quite comfortable. It comes in two different depths. In a different fabric, this sofa would hold its own in the  man cave, with its hefty foundation pieces.


I didn't give the designer any hints about the room, and I was delighted when he said, "English pub, tartan, scale." 

Of course, I love this sofa, too, with its sweet rolled arms, but it's small (comfy, though).

I love the style of the "Oxford" sofa, but it wasn't available. The designer said one would be arriving soon--and it was very important to sit on a sofa and take plenty of time to decide if it would fit my room and my life. I was so happy to hear this philosophy.
Anyway, here's the cute "Oxford."

 I found several pretty beds. 


Of course, this one stole my heart.

If I bought one for the master, I'd go with a black finish. 

But if I put "Quincy" in a guest room, anything goes. 


Loved the floor lamp and oversized clock.


I tried not to drool too much over the ginger jars. They're so classic and lovely.



I was happy to see a cousin to my old Chippendale chairs and pedestal table. The upholstered arm chairs would be a great way to update.


 I had noticed this media cabinet in the catalog (I tried to do my research before going shopping),
and it is exquisite in person.

Even though cold weather is on the way, I still had to look at furniture for the screened porch.


I like the simple style of this barstool. Again, without my prompting, the designer said that leather would disappear against the bar, but finding a fabric wouldn't be difficult. My thoughts exactly! I really liked him!

I stopped several times to admire the gorgeous faux flowers (I'm a faux fan). 


I wasn't ready to buy anything (not even the pretty moss), but I came away with a better understanding of scale, along with a firmer vision of the overall design (English country house/pub).

I still love the "Carlisle" sofa from Pottery Barn--if I ever buy a sofa for the living room, I'd think very hard about the Carlisle.

And I'm crushing on the darling, slipped chair.

Hope you enjoyed window shopping with me.


Shared at the following link parties:
Metamorphosis Monday,
The Scoop,  

24 comments:

  1. I love window shopping too. I'm also suspicious of sofa's with high arms. The hubby and I had a roommate once who had a sofa like that and it was the most uncomfortable sofa I've ever sat on. I definitely don't miss that couch :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny, because the high-armed sofa we had in the 80s came from EA--and the designer warned me that it was pretty but very uncomfortable. She encouraged us to sit down--put up our feet. I still went with that sofa, and no one ever sat on it for long. It was tartan :-) and very pretty, though. But lesson learned.

      Delete
  2. I was going to buy the Carlisle whenever PB had a sale again, but I went to Ethan Allen and ordered the Hyde which I know is better quality than PB. I do have the PB classic sofa in the sun room and have had it for years, but it was made when Mitchell and Gold made the furniture for PB. Now PB does it on their own. My mom has the Hyde sofa in her home and I can't wait to get mine in January. That chesterfield would be nice in the pub room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had wondered where you bought your sun room sofa--It is so pretty and looks comfortable. I just now Googled the Hyde, and it's gorgeous. I didn't see one at the store, but next time I go (and I hope there will be a next time!), I will look for it. And thank you for sharing your sofa journey--the "innards" are ultimately more important than the looks. We have one sofa now that has a Black Hole in the center--nothing fixes it for long. EA did warn me that it would take until Feb 16 for a sofa to arrive--they wanted to let me know that I wouldn't have it in time to use red tartan. I appreciated the honesty. A friend is still reeling from her dealings with a high end store--an in stock piece wasn't delivered for 6 months, with excuses and delays in between. (The old, great store in BNA, Bradfords, closed its doors last summer, and while I never bought anything there, it was my go-to place for inspiration. I shall miss it. But I was impressed with EA's professionalism. They also said they would not dream of selling us a sofa until they had personally measured the room and looked at it, to help figure out the scale and arrangement. While I was there, I also saw an English floral pillow that drew me in like a moth to a candle flame. Summer in the Cotswolds here I come, I hope. The pillow is somewhere on the cute red bed (in the above photos).

      Delete
  3. Love the looks of that Chesterfield sofa. Sounds like you found a designer that's more in line with your thinking. I always enjoy going into the Ethan Allen store. All their accessories are enticing too. I agree about sitting on the sofa before you purchase it. I custom ordered a huge absolutley gorgeous rolled arm sofa by C.R. Laine but had never sat on it. It was too deep and we found it uncomfortable to sit on. Lessons learned. I'm a fan of faux plants too- I don't like seeing dying plants (which eventually happens) and that they always look good! Thanks for the fun window shopping tour! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I have never seen so many gorgeous faux arrangements--even a fig tree. The price tags gave me shivers, but I came away with ideas. About sofa depth--that's another thing we'll have to figure out.

      Delete
  4. drool, drool, drool - all so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, so many pretty things. I think the designer was totally on spot with his suggestions. I love the idea of a leather chesterfield and tartan. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me--I will jump at the chance to have tartan. :-)

      Delete
  6. Michael Lee, I like the way you analyze things. This process helps me organize my own mind when we are faced with adding or changing something here. Thanks for taking us along. The Chesterfield would be a handsome addition to the "man cave", especially if it were in a rich leather. The first bed image is one I'd like for a guest room here. We are considering a different bed for the downstairs guest room because the one we have is antique and very high. It's not the most welcoming for most of our guests who are as old or older than we are. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that bed pretty? I need to think about comfort, as well. If we ever meet in person, remind me to tell you the story of an old bed we once owned. I wrote about it a little in Consuming Passions, but, of course, the real story remains untold. It's now shared as oral history.***wink**

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed going on the shopping trip with you, Michael Lee. I tend to have to ponder over things for awhile before I make decisions, which sounds like how you are. It's better to be safe than sorry, is how I feel. It's sounds like the interior designer understood the picture of things. I would've been tempted by the mossy covered bowl in the pretty urn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Chesterfield and would look great in the Man Cave. Sounds like the EA designer knows what he is talking about. I am not overly impressed with PB's furniture.
    I also love the bed for the master in black, so classic. Many thanks for the wonderful tour of furniture shopping ideas.
    Have a great weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to PB, and they were ready to order on the spot (without knowing the room's dimensions), which made me run! Hope you have a great weekend, too, Mary.

      Delete
  9. We are taking a little drive over to Ethan Allen Monday for a little chair shopping. Our sofa is from EA and our dining furniture. We need some guidance for a living room chair. Our sofa is Bennett, chunky with nail head trim. It is comfy cozy and sturdy. Will see what we come up with for a chair.
    I love just browsing EA. Lots of gorgeous inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love the Bennett. I'll look for it on our next trip. It would look great in the pub room (I'm not going to call it a cave anymore, lol). Hope you have a happy day at EA.

      Delete
  10. I have the EA sofa you wanted to see. I had it done in a paisley and I really love it. I also bought a black canopy bed from them for my bedroom. I love that too and have had them for a year and a half. However my only problem was on the headboard is a scrolled design...pretty, not overdone, I have had a piece chip off from it...its just a thin layer so I colored it in with sharpie! I admit we use a lot of pillows to sit up in bed so I'm sure a pillow hem caught it! Other than that great quality, great service, great staff...get on their email list because they always have sales. If you are going to buy it, you might as well save money while doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip on the mailing list. They do have a sale going on now, so that's good!

      Delete
  11. While I like almost everything EA, I am voting for the dark Chesterfield sofa for the man cave. Yes to pub and plaid style. I can see it now. A chesterfield lets you use lots of pillows as they usually have a deep seat.Some sofas do not have enough room for pillows. My mama cave sofa is like that. And while I would love to get a new sofa...the one I have is fine it maybe a little too "cottage" for my style now. I threw some leopard pillows on it and just try to roll. ha!
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for window shopping trip, Michael Lee. Love this type of trip as its easy on my pocket-book .... winks. Re a sofa; recall one that we had that was suitable for the men folk as for the women (including myself) always found it hard on the neck for some reason and because of it, I actually gave it away. Still to this day, I never concluded why it just didn't fit a women's anatomy but it seemed to thrust your head forward even though its back wasn't particularly high. Sounds crazy I know but perhaps it is something that you can keep in mind. That said; lesson learned that 'one size fits all' isn't necessarily true even when it comes to sofas.... LOL! -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can never go wrong with EA. Their furniture is beautiful and lasts for ages. A chesterfield sofa is classic and masculine one in leather combined with other things in tartan oh so Ralph L. My husband does not care for a chesterfield style because of the high arms. He likes to fall asleep on the sofa and those high arms prohibit that. You have not mentioned looking at RH. Their furniture is quite massive and might be just the scale you need for the pub room.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on the slipped chair. love it.

    ReplyDelete