Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Temperature of Happiness

Did you know that happiness has an actual temperature? According to the American Meteorological Society, we are happiest when the mercury hits 57 degrees Fahrenheit. After being cooped up all weekend, I wasn't sad, but I wasn't dancing in the street. I was in a neutral mood, ready for breakfast and an hour of journal writing. Then, as I sipped coffee, I glanced out the window.



The neighborhood gang had arrived for the breakfast bar.

At the other end of the trellises, I saw a splash of periwinkle. Was something blooming? Or had trash blown into the yard? 
The blue patch moved.
I grabbed a heavy poncho and flew out the door.


The patch of blue turned out to be grape hyacinths; a mild wind had stirred the blossoms. Up close, they were tiny, like something you'd see near a fairy's house. They were a lovely surprise.

For a moment, I was lost in the purple-blue color. And just like that, my neutral mood had shifted into joy. I moved to the trellis beds. Days ago, I'd been thisclose to pulling the weeds in those beds, but now the purple-pink blossoms seemed plush and dainty.


Happiness continued to build when I saw unblemished leaves on the roses. 

And look--daylilies are coming up, too. These flowers remind me of pretty tomboys.  They can endure sun, drought, and terrible soil. And a whole slew of them are flourishing along the driveway.

Irises, too.


Hydrangea leaves are starting to unfurl. Oh, please, please, let them bloom.




Maybe the temperature is a sweet spot. Or maybe it's just temperature. Maybe activity ignites a positive mood. One minute you are sitting. And the next, you're flying.



Suggested Reading:

17 comments:

  1. It looks like you have a garden full of happiness ML. Grape hyacinths are one my favorites. My mother always had fresh flowers from her garden in a small vase beside our beds when we were growing up and it is a sweet and fragrant memory that I will never ever forget.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! Isn't it amazing how something as simple - and magnificent - as discovering the blooming of flowers and witnessing birds and squirrels at the feeders, lifts your spirits? We've had some really cruddy weather here in northern IL this month, but March is like that here. Very fickle. But today, the sun is finally out again and I can already hear all the birds chirping outside. After I'm done reading my blogs and drinking my coffee, I'm heading outside for some vitamin D and smiles, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your weather improves soon--enjoy your Vit D!

      Delete
  3. How exciting to discover earth's bounty of flowers popping up on your hill. I think that would perk me up also. I mean...spring is the time for everything to wakeup! Yay for you! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing like the awakening of nature and what it does for the soul! Thanks for the reference reading, Michael Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SO get it. The other day I was outside and spied a flash of purple too. It was a hyacinth JUST starting to bloom. Just one but it made my heart happy! Loved the pic of the cardinal in the feeder too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be so fun to explore your new outdoor space and find all kinds of pretties popping up!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cardinal shot in the bird feeder. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michael Lee! How fun to see the blossoming of plants you didn't know were there! The same thing happened to me last March when we moved into our condo. Things were pretty dreary for a few weeks and then greenery popped up and I had gorgeous irises, too! And later on, lotsa hosta! ;)....P.S. as far as being happy at 57 degrees F....I need a bit warmer than that! And I especially need Sunshine! Wishing you tons of beautiful, blissful, warm, sunny days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer warmer temps, too! Even if I'm bundled up, 57 feel merciless. :-0

      Delete
  9. The awakening Earth does the same thing for me— makes me come back to life too. I never considered myself a sufferer of SADD, but the older I've become, I think too many dark and dreary days take their toll on me. I adore your garden shed! Maybe save a corner of it for a spot of tranquility.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your photos. Thanks for the "happy" information. I have to agree that weather can certainly control your mood, and here in SE Texas, summers are so hot it's like wearing a blanket all day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know happiness had a temperature! I feel like 57F is too cold for me! I think 71 is my happy temperature. Does your birdhouse have a copper roof? Thanks for sharing at Thursday Favorite Things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My hubby says I'm like Goldilocks on the mercury scale of happiness. My comfort zone is 68 to 72 degrees, higher or lower and I'm too hot or too cold...of course it may have something to do with menopause :) It gives me such a thrill to see the hydrangea leaves unfurl! You mentioned in your other post about planting Easter/ hot house hydrangeas. I have had some luck with a couple reblooming, I think it depends on the variety. Hope springs eternal, so I always plant mine. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pics! Spring is lovely! Thanks for sharing at HSH!

    ReplyDelete