Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Gardening in the Cozy Room

If you've followed the ranchburger's adventures, then you know about the curious, little room off the mudroom. It had been a creative space (along with storage) for a Nashville chef. When I saw her vase and dish collection, I knew this house might put up with me, seeing as I liked that sort of thing. 

Here's how it looked the day I saw it. A blurry picture of a great space. You can see the allure: lots of shelves, natural light, and three storage closets (not pictured...yet).

I am still working on the room, but I wanted to show you what I've done so far. Everything was painted a crisp, cottage white. The old carpet was replaced. 
The drapery rods were painted black (but I haven't put up the draperies just yet--or installed the rods); and I am in the process of changing out the cabinet hardware. I'd found the pulls at Pottery Barn in 2012 (you may remember them from my hardware dithering at the Georgian).




The room is bright and sunny, and it's only a few steps from the garage--and the garden. And, since the potting shed has been taken over my Men--for now, anyway--I am very happy to have a place of my own. A place where men fear to tread.


I'd planned for this space to be a dish room, but the room had other ideas. I think the old green cherry plate (below) may have had something to do with it. A sweet friend had found it for me in 1993, when I was remodeling a 100 year old house. The plate always reminds me of good times . . . and something more, something magical. Objects can evoke memories, allowing us to time travel a bit. 


While unpacking, I found one of my grandmother's tea towels. She loved herbs, too. I remember when my baby brother had been born, way back in the 50s, and I was bereaved (because I'd desperately wanted a sister, not a skinny baby boy who cried all the time). My Mimi drove to New Orleans and brought me back to Mississippi. It was mid-September, but her herbs were huge and lush. We weeded and made posies and picked dill for her famous potato salad.
Six decades later, irreplaceable memories are wrapped up in that tea towel. I can smell the damp earth, the pine trees, the fresh dill. I remember how my grandmother's apron pockets bulged with herbs and how, that night, her hands smelled fragrant.

  

  

  Many years ago, I found the pottery leaf plates. I've been trying to remember where, but I can't. Maybe it'll come back to me. In the tall wooden box, the trinket on top is a Pistoulet box that I used in a Novel Baker adventure, also very dear.






I'm calling this space The Cozy Room. 


Shared at:

20 comments:

  1. LOVE that room!! Your work room is so much more organized and neater than mine! LOL Love all of your gorgeous photos. Thanks for sharing.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! It looks like a fun project and the room has so much potential! Please share some new pics showing how the work develops: I am very curious!

    Aria

    https://pandaonavespa.wordpress.com/welcome/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a charming space! You have created a wonderful vignette of a gardeners joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great space and I love how you set up the potting area! It's fun, happy, and practical all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a room like this about-oh...5 houses back. Although yours is much cuter mine was junkier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved you describing your memories of your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh I love the cozy room, and it's just for you. Isn't it wonderful how sights and smells evoke such delightful memories of loved ones? Your Mimi was a treasure in your life, Michael Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is absolutely charming, I do love coming here to visit an enjoy reading, I just hang on every word you write, and the photos are amazing. You sure know how to "whisk" us away with such sweet imaginations, shucks I find myself thinking back on some lovely memories. Thanks ML.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While your photos are enchanting, your writing makes me finally aware of just how hungry I am to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, ML- it is a fantastic room - so light, bright and cheerful - what a great place to create and inspire! ♥ it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photo's are beautiful - thanks so much for sharing. This room looks terrific and you will really enjoy it.

    Enjoy the weekend.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun space with so many unique items, love all the bottles with flowers!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great and beautiful space that Cozy Room..and an amazing view too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michael Lee, What a cozy room to garden or dish...I can envision all kinds of possibilities! I love the patina of your pots and what stories they might tell of the flowers blooming within them. Your bottle drying rack is perfect to display them. Your grandmother's Dill tea towel is a treasure along with the memories it holds. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous transformation! I just love the airier, flowery change! Oh, my, it all looks like a painting! That plate is gorgeous! I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet memory of Mimi. Enjoyed your descriptions. Have fun decorating, I can see the possibilities. From
    gardenthymewithdiana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, gosh....what a to-die-for-room....it should be a law that ALL houses come with a COZY ROOM....your staging of the photos is awesome....the pictures are magazine worthy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great room to play. I love those floor to ceiling windows.

    ReplyDelete
  19. damn i am jealous, i want my own cozy room! the happier you are the sadder it makes me!

    ReplyDelete