Monday, May 23, 2016

Screened Porch: A Mini-Reveal

  
All winter, the screened porch stayed empty. Cold temperatures--and snow--kept me indoors; but I never stopped dreaming about the porch. I knew one thing: decorating this space wouldn't happen in one fell swoop. It would take time. Our move hadn't been easy. The spirit was willing to pull things together, but the body refused to cooperate. Not to worry. I would use what I had and hope that when the right pieces came along, I would have funds to buy them.

On Mother's Day, my husband and son gave me two brown rocking chairs.
That evening, as we sat on the porch, listening to songs on Pandora, I moved furniture in my mind's eye. I imagined myself shopping the house, poking through boxes. The next day, I got to work. The porch had a rustic vibe, perfect for my old farm table and the wicker chairs. I'd been using a bench in the man cave, along with an outdoor Chippendale bench. For now, these pieces could work on the porch.


I foraged in the yard for branches and flowers. I love the wildness of a pulled-together bouquet. 

So far, I had seating (love seat, wicker chairs, rockers). The bench worked fine as a coffee table.  I have a couple of sisals all rolled up. I hauled the smallest rug up to the porch (it took a few days for the winkles to settle down). Now, I needed comfort. The living room in my old house had been white and black, so I didn't have to buy pillows. These went onto the loveseat and chairs. 

Finally, I dug out two plant stands, then I went to Home Depot to find shade loving plants. I came home with two ferns.

Now it was time to forage in the spidery garage. I dug out one of the big lanterns that had been left by a previous owner. Even though it's not Christmas, I couldn't resist the willow star. 

Here's a peek at the other end of the porch, the "eatin' end."  

Here's how it looked last weekend:


(I'm still deliriously happy about the blooming hydrangeas.)




At dusk, the light softens and deepens, and the porch takes on a different mood.






I tried to get a picture of the whole porch. It's rectangular. In the front, you'll find a place for sitting (or rocking), and in the rear, a small dining space. 


I hope to eventually find a love seat, the kind with deep cushions, perfect for reading or writing; chairs would be lovely, too. Smaller scale furniture seems like it will work best, rather than a 3-cushion sofa and two wicker chairs. But for now, the dining chairs can be called into service, and the Chippendale bench will provide seating. I have string lights, but the electrician can't get here until June. The other day, I stopped by Ferguson's, and I saw adorable barn light sconces in the showroom. That said...patience, my dear. It's best to move slowly, because a room really does tell you what it needs--and doesn't need.

I only wish that I'd worked on this room sooner. Once, it was empty and forbidding. Now, we have places to sit and dream--and eat homemade barbecue.

Shared at:

35 comments:

  1. ML - it is absolutely awesome! What a perfect and dreamy spot. You will have hours and hours of delightful respite there. Well done, ma'am - and shopping the house is key, too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new space...Wonderful and cozy.
    Joyously,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW STUNNING! It´s so stunning, so relaxing and romantic! You have amazing taste!

    Aria

    https://pandaonavespa.wordpress.com/welcome/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous, warm and inviting place, I truly love it ML.
    You created a dreamy space to retreat and relax right in your home. The view from all over it's wonderful too.
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a wonderful spot for spending happy hours of rocking, reading and sipping...I can just imagine myself sitting by the soft lantern light and the glow of my kindle :) And so nice that your porch is spacious enough for a table and dining. You captured the blue hour perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. I'd spend many hours there over the summer and fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, Michael Lee, this is a fabulous space! I love the fact that you created it entirely from what you already had (well, except for the living plants). This is nirvana for me!
    Rita C at Panoply

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, Michael Lee, this is my favorite room!!! I'm just swooning with delight at how cozy, and inviting it is. The buffalo check pillows are perfect and oh, the bench is wonderful as a coffee table. Love the unique chandelier, the candles glowing, and the ferns. I'd be out there all the time!! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has worked out perfectly that you had the time and took the time to let the room develop for you. What a lovely space! You have really found the right mix of pieces for your start and can slowly add and make it even more special. It is really a warm and comfortable space. I am sure you will be spending a lot of time there. The red/white/blue table is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! I can't believe you pulled that together from "shopping the house"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would be spending a lot of time in your lovely room. Shopping the house, how great is that.
    IT turned out very lovely ML and enjoy your time there. Simply stunning.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job, ML. It all looks wonderful. I love the black and whites highlighted by your pretty blooms. I know you all will enjoy this. We love our outdoor living spaces, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful area to spend evenings on... you have done such a wonderful job with your house! I'm sure you'll spend many hours out on this porch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful space. I'm sure you will get so many hours of use in it all year long. Your decor is perfect. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks beautiful and I love the city lights at night. I can see you spending a lot of time in this space.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful outdoor room...and that view! I really like what you did in there...it's warm, cozy...and yet doesn't take way from the view...that's the star! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMGoodness, it is perfect...perfectly gorgeous. I would be living out there. Eating, reading, sipping, dreaming, AHHHHH.... I love how big it is too. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much gorgeousness (I think I just made up that word, lol)!! I would be spending all day and evening out on that porch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely, with your usual grace! You are so lucky to have a fully screened porch. I have a small Carolina room out back, but it has windows. It is lovely to have that fresh air without the bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great porch to dream and scheme on! I love everything you have done to create this cozy space.
    sheila

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great room- I'd be out there all the time. I think it looks great- you came up with a wonderful look.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Clap clap clap!! This certainly doesn't look "foraged" to me ML, it looks like a magazine cover! Crisp black and white is such a great choice, and makes any color pop. Your wild weed and flower arrangement is stunning-
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great porch. What a view and it looks so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your porch looks so good and cozy. I could look at that view all day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love to spend time on this porch. Love the mix you added to enjoy this space, and the view off in the distance is wonderful. Great job, ML!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a glorious space! Pure heaven, I would spend so much time there! Oh, and those glasses are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderfully cozy, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What's a gorgeous place! I hope that I could be there. It's very very beautiful. The decoration is amazing. Love...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, what a beautiful space! I love the natural textures and the glow at night is so cozy! That view is incredible too!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just gorgeous, MLee. You've come such a long way - now you are so confident in your decisions, comfortable with your style and decorating is old hat for you! But I do miss our late night internet decorating binges! xoxo Allison

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just had to stop back by for little more porch time. I love this space! The view across to the twinkling lights of town makes it even better. I know you enjoy time in this space.

    ReplyDelete
  32. such a pretty spot, you can dress it up daily!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a transformation! just beautiful and so welcoming...and the view at night! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your space...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete