Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Underporch: Part I

The underporch has always been an interesting area. At one time, it was a carport, then it became a tidy storage area for previous residents.


The first time I saw it, I thought it had potential . . . but for what, I didn't know. I quickly forgot about it because other areas of the house needed attention. Then, last fall, we decided to screen the area, as it would help prevent a billion leaves from blowing into the space.
During the winter, the area had become a place to store furniture. The room still needed construction work, just a few things at one end, such as a door. I hadn't wanted to fix up the area only to move things aside when the carpenters returned. Now, summer was here. I still didn't have a door. Door or no door, I had to reclaim this space and make it my own.

So, this weekend, I rolled up my sleeves and got to work. The leaves went into the compost pile. 

As for the Underporch's decor, I was all set to choose a new color for the only wall in the space, but it was growing on me. I decided to pull a few things together and see if I still liked the old paint color.

Also, my husband had asked me to paint the old, rusty metal table, but it, too, looked at home in this room. . . at least, for now. [I'll need to find out just how damaging rust can be--I sure don't want to lose the table.] I did buy chalk paint and hope to re-do a few small wooden tables this weekend. I chose an antique cream and a gray.

Before I did anything, I needed a visual layout of the room, and I pulled the furniture into place. A wheeled vintage shelf went on one wall.

An old, warped drop-leaf table went into the center of the room.



I raided the potting shed for cuteness.



My father's old drop-leaf table will receive a few coats of chalk paint (grey and cream)--lots of distressing. I found the black wire rack at a local shop, and I'm painting it, too. It will be hung on the wooden wall. 

No room is a Rattlebridge room unless it pays a tribute to the courageous, big-hearted terrier.

The lantern is one of many that had been left by the previous owner.





Well, that's it for now. I'll see you after I do a little painting and fluffing.

20 comments:

  1. Looks like it just might get enough sun to grow a few plants there too. I like the garden theme you have going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you sure turned this into a fun space! That rolled cart is the neatest and I'm sure the old drop leaf table will look great when you are done. Looks like a place I'd find myself hanging out in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be such a great area for arranging cut flowers and other fun crafts and potting things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it all Michelle! You have made the space useful and pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. opps sorry. Michael Lee! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute "woman-cave" space! What a blessing to have so much room! I like the path this space is taking. I'd love to have just ONE area for a potting place, and you have two! Whoo hoo! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful, even without enclosing the area with screens. Great job! MMR

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing it needs now is a rocking chair! I'm completely in love with this version of the she shed.... and that old shelf has me salivating. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful place to play!!

    Happy weekend.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks to me like you have a VERY good start!! Happy Long weekend!!
    Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH, this is such a wonderful place to just sit and relax, or do some potting of plants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you've done! I think the only reason you've been so conflicted as to what to do to this area is because there are myriad ways to go! Screening it in was an excellent decision not only for leaves, but bugs too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks to me like it is taking shape. What fun to have this space. I forsee some tablescape opportunities. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want an outdoor room like yours! A place for projects and piddling. I am dead tired after cleaning and prepping for my bunch to roll in on Monday. I may need to schedule a nap too! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet it's lovely and cool down there on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great outdoor space for potting or whatever! It's sure shaping up, Michael Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Michael, I can't wait to see this room when it's screened because I love it already! Everything you do is always beautiful and I know this space will be, too. You always have such a great vision in mind, I can't wait to see this one come together as you've planned.

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are having fun fun fun! will i ever get to start over again :-(...

    ReplyDelete