Wednesday, July 27, 2016

A Visit to the Southern Kentucky Mennonite Community

A few weeks ago, we took a day trip to the Mennonite community near Scottsville, Kentucky. Rain had settled over the area, and several roads were closed.

We managed to visit two farm stands and a colorful, well-known Amish grocery. 

You can see a short video of the storm HERE.

Despite the storm, we saw horse-drawn buggies on the road, red tail-lights shining on the pavement.

Our first stop was a small stand at Dry Ridge Farm. We talked to the owners, and they said the rain was great for weeds but terrible for tomatoes. Normally they would have been in the field, picking corn. My husband managed to find a dozen ears in a seemingly bottomless cardboard box. 


We searched for a special sweet/sour relish that is the crowning glory for pinto beans, but we couldn't find a single jar. So we bought honey and blackberry jam.


Our second stop was a larger farm stand. I loaded up on peaches and heirloom tomatoes.


We also bought peanut butter cookies and bread. Who could resist? 

The rain slowed a bit, and I ventured outside.





Our last stop was the famed Habegger's Amish Market.



 











Our phones kept shrieking weather alerts, so we headed down the road.



Our excursion only took a few hours, but we came home happy and relaxed. Best of all, for the first time in ages, I was inspired to cook. 

16 comments:

  1. How timely, I was up in Lancaster county today which is Amish country too. Many wonderful farms and farm stands for an abundance of fresh food! It is a beautiful drive up there which I enjoy every time I go, which is often! Thanks for sharing your Amish country too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a thought a few weeks ago about traveling to the Amish area around Scottsville myself, but the weather kept me away. I see you went in spite of and had a fabulous time and now you've inspired me to get out and get up there. I live in Hendersonville so the trip isn't quite as far. Love your header. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing much better than rural America and all this bounty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful blog post. I simply adored every photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous produce! I visited a farmstand (a small one - nothing like what you pictured) up the road from me the other day and loaded up on beautiful tomatoes and corn. I made a summer corn chowder (non-dairy) and gazpacho yesterday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We enjoyed a detour to Amish community once on our travels. Absolutely love the simple minimalist lifestyle, we purchased a handmade basket from a widowed lady, selling her sweet beautiful baskets on her porch, she was delightful. I will cherish the conversation an experience forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful outing! I better head down to Lancaster, PA - maybe it will inspire me to cook something besides tomato sandwiches and fruit salad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos of a simpler lifestyle. Harder, but simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are having that same weather today in south central Ky. Ha! The veggies look wonderful too. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful colorful pictures of veggies! Makes me want a big salad for those tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun trip to Amish and Mennonite country, Michael Lee. When we lived in Ohio, we used to visit Amish country when we took the kids camping. Ahhhh...such fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a bounty of colorful and farm-fresh produce! Glad you survived the weather and storms. I've never had the chance to visit the Amish and Mennonite country. I'm fascinated by the buggies and simple way of living. We could use a storm or two to get some much-needed rain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, pictures just delightful. The produce looked so yummy. I would not be able to resist the baked goods either. I've been to Indiana Amish country years ago and had such a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful that market is! What a lot of gorgeous produce! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore country life, it's the simple pleasures I relish...

    ReplyDelete