Saturday, July 30, 2016

Field Notes: The Wilder Side of the Hilltop

Most of the time, you'll find me in the trellis garden, pulling weeds and dragging hoses to the flower beds. Except for the vines and a few straggly roses, the area was a blank slate. I began with a yellow and purple color scheme, and it quickly became a free-for-all. The garden (and clay soil) taught me plenty. With next year's flowers in mind, I took notes and photographs, identifying errors and happy accidents. It's a messy garden, but it's not wild. Not one bit.


 Today, as I walked around the yard, picking up fallen branches, I ended up on the south knoll. It's in the city limits, but barely--you could throw a rock and it would land in the county. This little plot of earth is beguiling and ever-changing, vastly different from the urban trellis beds.

For a while, I forget about picking up twigs. I'm lost in untouched beauty and grace, the wildness of the country, the wind ruffling over a lush, grassy field.

A field is a place where magic is born.

A grassy meadow is alive, a living, breathing habitat.








Gladys, the formerly feral cat, seems to know where I'm going. She's always a few steps ahead, leading the way to more adventures.

Turning west, I see a pink tunnel, row after row of crepe myrtles.



Here on the edge of nowhere, I'm entranced by the beauty and romance of wild vines. We inherited a falling-down barn. Contractors come out, scratch their heads, make notes, then scurry off. 


I'm lucky to have this old gal in the west field. I wonder what stories she could tell.

Through the crepe myrtles, I glimpse a view of valleys and hills.

 I see where middle Tennessee's great basin ends and the blue mountains begin. 

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." 
--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Shared at:
Metamorphosis Monday



22 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful way to start my day. Thanks Michael~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You live in a beautiful place, Michael Lee! Your flowers are very pretty. Good job! You are a busy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post! I grew up in KY admiring the land just like this. I would hike all over my Grandfather's farm and just love the beauty there. We all need to get out and take "field notes" on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much beauty surrounds you. Lovely shots from your ramble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is just marvelous, ML. As always, you capture it perfectly - thus proving your command of imagery and imagination. Well done, ma'am. This is lovely; beutifully written. Thank you. My first post read after a terrible night's sleep - barely any. What a nice treat for my weary soul.♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful country, imagery, and descriptions. I love your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful images of the countryside! And, the tortoise shell cat is very similar to one we had years ago. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous scenery you have to gaze at. Pretty kitty cat too!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful! I love this part of our country. The rolling southern hills of southern Ky down to middle TN are in my blood and soul. You featured The beauty so wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it all! Restores one's soul!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Michael Lee, THANK YOU for shring tis. I am enthralled. Truly. You have captured some magic. Since moving here, I have learned that we do not appreciate what we have til it is gone. Don't get me wrong, I love living here but I finally realize what beauty I had and didn't appreciate. I LOVED this post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is the most gorgeous "messy" I have ever beheld! Thank you for this beautiful tour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the quote at the end, and it seems to capture the theme of your post perfectly. What a lovely post for a Sunday morning! Your photography is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Breath taking, Michael Lee. Thank you so much for the tour. -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simply breathtaking in every way...the views, the gorgeous flowers...thank you for taking us along on your beautiful walk!...Yes, the twigs can wait!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such gorgeous photos ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful photos. Heavenly to picture these photos. I always enjoy a tour of one's yard. Thank you for your sweet comment on my Sunflower Alfresco tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post. Pictures were wonderful. A lot of time and
    effort going into your garden spaces. You mom will be included in our prayers Blessings for a full recovery

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Michael Lee, your hilltop garden and the view from up there is quite magical! I could sit and daydream for hours, while roaming around.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pastoral perfection, a garden and a book is all I need in life...

    ReplyDelete