Thursday, July 28, 2016

Foodie Friday and Everything Else

I'm so glad you're joining us today. Pull up a rocking chair and tell me about your week. Earlier this month, I took a day trip to southern Kentucky to visit the Mennonite and Amish communities. I came home with happy memories and plenty of fresh vegetables. 



A few days later, my 88-year old mother was hospitalized with sepsis and lactic-acidosis, life-threatening conditions. The doctors still don't know the origin of her illness, but luckily she pulled through. She was so weak, her physician recommended a transfer to a rehab unit. She's doing much better. Her physical therapists have helped her with balance and strength. But it was quite a change for my independent mom (she mowed her grass until her arthritis made it impossible, and that was just a few years ago). While she's recuperating, I've been keeping her sweet Shih Tzu, Jazzy, who makes regular visits see see her most beloved human.

Storms are ripping through my neck of the woods today, and it's just a matter of time before lightning knocks out our internet connection. So far, we've had four outages, and they always seem to hit on a weekend. Last Saturday, I couldn't get my Instagram feed to refresh, and I so love my tribe at Instagram. The sun just popped out, but you never know what's coming over the mountains. So I'm posting FFEE early, just in case.


News from 
the Foodie Friday and Everything Else community:

Calypso in the Country shared moments from her life.



The Nest at Finch Rest welcomed her precious granddaughter to the world.


If you love tablescapes, be sure to visit Celebrate and Decorate with Chloe Crabtree for a week-long al fresco tablescape blog hop--25 bloggers will participate. The event starts Monday, August 1st, and ends Friday, August 5th.
Features from Last Week's Party:

Ideas for the Home and Table


Unusually Lovely shared the perfect dessert for summer: a layered strawberry shortcake.


The Charm of Home shared a recipe for homemade blackberry syrup.


Cool off with refreshing and healthy raspberry yogurt popsicles by Sidewalk Shoes .


The Kitchen is My Playground  shared her recipe for Carolina Caviar, also known as Redneck or Texas Caviar. No matter what you call it, this dish is healthy and delicious.


Just Jan shared a post titled "Delightfully Overdone," revealing her delightful and gorgeous home.


Inspired by beloved magazines, Sweet Nothings  created a charming French Country vignette.


From food to flea markets, Botanic Bleu created an indispensable travel guide for Paris.


Learn how to add charming farmhouse greenery at The North End Loft.

My Kentucky Living shared old friends and birthdays.


Everyday Living created a beautiful, joyful "slice of summer" tablescape.

The Foodie Friday and Everything Else Link Party Guidelines:

***No "rules," anything goes.

**Share your food photos with a larger community at TOP FOOD BLOGGERS ON PINTEREST. Send me a message @ Pinterest if you'd like to join (that way, I'll be sure to see your request--otherwise, it may get lost in the feed).

**If you need more assistance for Foodie Friday, an UPDATED guide to the linky party is available HERE or by clicking the Foodie Friday/Everything Else tab at the top of the page.


31 comments:

  1. Ah - pretty scary seeing my face pop up like that - lol! Thanks for the feature. So glad to hear your mom is on the mend. I am sure you must have been very worried for her. That little Jazzy is quite the cutie though. I am sure he is helping her to cheer up! Sounds like storms are all over the place. We have one heading here this evening. Hope you keep your internet - and power! Enjoy your weekend!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thrilled that your Mom is doing better, that is scary stuff! Her little Jazzy is a cutie! Thanks so much for featuring my Slice of Summer Tablescape and for hosting, Michael Lee! Have a beautiful weekend, Pam @ Everyday Living

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your dear old mom's trials but happy to hear she is doing better. It's been ages since I've linked up for Foodie Friday and glad to see Everything else! It caught my eye that you visited Amish and Mennonite Communities. Hope you have a good weekend and that you retain your power through the storms that are brewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry your mother has been ill but I know you are relieved to see her on the mend. Shih Tzus kidnap your heart! We have one that tests me though. He never barks to let you know when he needs to potty but just comes up to you and stares. I am so glad I still have those eyes in the back of my head from parenting. That way his message gets through loud and clear. Thank you so much for the feature!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so scary as our parents get older. I am glad to hear she's getting better. Have a great weekend!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gasped when I saw your beautiful new header! It could be an advertisement for a high-end farmers market! Sorry to hear about your mom but I'm glad to know she's in rehab and progressing. My MIL is 86 and fell last year right before Thanksgiving and broke her ribs. I think losing her independence and no longer able to drive or be out and about by herself was ultimately a lot more painful. When I scrolled down for the photos before I read your post, I thought you got a new puppy...love that sweet face! Hope you're surviving this heat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to hear that your dear mom is on the mend and in rehab, Michael Lee. How nice that she get visits from her sweet pup. I recently visited my mom in Ohio for her 87th birthday, and she had been sick weeks earlier with C. difficile. It seems she got in from being prescribed too many antibiotics. However, to combat the illness, she had to take an over $400 antibiotic!
    Thanks for hosting and your header is so perfect for summer! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy reading Mary's comments to you, it is like two old friends chatting together. I agree with her about your header, it is just beautiful, a great one for this veggie lover. Hope you have a great summer weekend and thanks for the party.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michael Lee, what a woman your mother must be, and how fortunate for her to have a good medical team to help her through such a life-threatening situation! I love your format for Foodie Friday & Everything Else, and all these features. Thanks so much for such a delightful party, and I look forward to being part of and seeing all the participants' tablescape next week.
    The rain has WV on high alert once again for flash flooding. :( #wvfloods
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear that your Mom was so sick but glad she is doing better. Her little Jazzy is adorable!! I have a small copper colander like yours and love it! Thanks for your fun party. Have a great weekend. The storms rolled through here this afternoon and more are expected later. But we need the rain and it FINALLY coooled iit off here a little.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry about your dear Mom, but lucky you to get to dogsit that sweet furball! I'm with Mary, your header is gorgeous! Looking forward to doing the blog hop with you next week! Thanks for the party-
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for hosting! Glad your mom is on the mend - her doggie looks just like my daughter's (my granddoggie too!). We've had so many thunder storms here as well though no power outages so far. It's so hard to be without internet, I know! Looking forward to the Alfresco Tablescape blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the party. Sorry to hear about your mother. Sending blessings your way. On a positive note, your header looks great! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a thrill to pop over for a FF visit and see my face - haha - thank you for the shout out of the best news I have ever had to share. Huge hugs for that, so much!

    I am sorry about your Momma- saying some prayers now that she's back to feeling better each and every day. Her little pupster is beyond adorable! Apparently you inherited finding adorable fur babies to love from her!

    Love your new header and that profile pic of you and your incredible hair is stunning.

    Weird black skies came, thunder, about 4 drops of rain then it passed us by. Hope to have rain, things are dry - but the cooler (slightly) temps are gratifying, indeed. Have a wonderful weekend coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear your mother is doing better, and sending wishes for her continued improvement and healing, Michael Lee. Thank you so much for including my Carolina Caviar in your feature picks for this week ... it's an honor to be featured on your fabulous blog!
    Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for featuring my post...and sweet old bears! I hope your mother continues to improve...and say hello from all of us. I like your Kentucky pic too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed reading through all of these features. Also enjoy your tomato header!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovin' your beautiful new header Michael! Happy Weekend-take care:@)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for the feature. I'm glad your mother is doing better, that is so scary! I bet you are enjoying that sweet little doggie! We finally got some rain last night. It seems like once it crosses middle Tennessee it fizzles out right before it gets to us. I'm hoping last night's rain is the start of a new weather pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Goodness, glad to hear your mother is doing better!! Thanks for hosting Michael Lee:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for hosting! Much inspiration here!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to hear your mom is doing better, Michael Lee. Thanks for the party and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh so many great recipes and post in this in party. Thank you so much.

    So glad to hear that your mom is doing so much better. Her little dog is so cute.

    I had a great week up at my son's home for my Birthday. I just turned 81 on Tuesday.

    So sorry to hear about your bad weather. We have had some terrible HOT weather here.

    Take care and prayers for you lovely mother.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so your mom is doing better, and Jazzy is adorable. Your Friday delights are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, goodness, what an ordeal with your precious mom and what a joyous outcome! I know your mom's dog Jazzy is also getting the royal treatment and, hopefully, you can all rest and relax for the rest of the summer. Love your screened porch! That would be the spot where I could re-energize.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope your mother is back to feeling chipper soon. She sounds like an amazing woman. Thank you so much for featuring my green thumb-challenged blog post. I'm thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad your mom is making a good recovery ... that's some scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother, Michael Lee. Sending get well wishes for a speedy recovery. Sincerely -Brenda-
    P.S.: Little 'Jazzy' is so darn adorable, you just want to hug her .. ☺.

    ReplyDelete