Monday, July 11, 2016

Grilled Dessert Pizza

Warm summer days have a slow rhythm. They can't be hurried, and it's best to let them have their way. Summer also cries out for lighter entrees and frosty desserts. I love cobblers, but a dessert pizza was made for hot, lazy evenings. I imagine dinner on the porch, barbecued chicken and slaw, and the pizza. A fizzy peach cooler would be a nice compliment, but anything with ice and fruit would hit the spot. We don't need to turn on the radio. The night provides its own music. Crickets, bullfrogs, the far off hoot of a barn owl. Down on the lawn, lightning bugs appear, floating in lazy patterns.
Yes, indeedy. I'll make that pizza.

I'd never made a fruit pizza, and I'm not sure why I waited so long. The mint is a cooling herb, and it carries the essence of summer. Berries add a spell of their own, making you think of brambles and sunlit meadows, reaching into a bush and picking berries until your fingers are stained and your belly is full. And peaches are the fruit of the month, abundant in July, adding enchantment to every dish.

I don't have to tell you about the versatility of this pizza. Can't you just imagine it with cherries, grapes, pineapple, apples, pears? A pizza like this could take us into Autumn with a slight shift in ingredients, couldn't it?

Grilled Dessert Pizza
Adapted from a recipe in Southern Lady Magazine (May/June 2016 issue)

1 can refrigerated pizza dough (dairy case)
8 oz. container mascarpone 
2 teaspoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed orange juice
2 peaches, sliced
2 nectarines, sliced
blackberries and raspberries 
fresh mint

Spray a jelly roll pan with Pam. Place pizza dough onto the pan and gently shape and flatten the dough with your fingers. Place pan on a hot charcoal grill. [You can find my directions (and saga) HERE. But the pizza would be just as delicious if you baked it in the oven.]
Remove crust from grill and cool.
In a bowl, mix mascarpone and sugar. Whisk in orange juice. Spread cheese mixture onto the crust. Arrange fruit on top of the cheese. Garnish with mint. Drizzle honey over the fruit and cheese. 
Yield: 1 pizza (serves 4 to 6)
The original recipe called for cream cheese and crème fraîche, but I mascarpone. My eldest son is a chef, and he advised me to add powdered sugar (granulated won't work well) to the mascarpone. I'm sure the pizza would be delightful with cream cheese and crème fraîche, but I couldn't find the latter ingredient at the grocery.

Shared at:


  1. I've made lots of pizzas with fruit but always a savory element too, I can't wait to try this with marscapone, it looks like heaven! And yes, perfect for porch sitting with BBQ chicken and slaw!

  2. That looks and sounds heavenly. I absolutely love fresh fruit and this is the time of year to enjoy it to the fullest. Thanks for a lovely post.

  3. I have made a similar version of this, using sugar cookie dough for the crust & baking it in the oven. I love it...especially with fresh fruit!

  4. Oh my goodness, this fruit pizza is absolutely beautiful! I can only imagine how delicious it tasted, too. The only place I've seen creme fraiche is Trader Joes, but I live in a metropolitan area.

  5. Michael, this is absolutely beautiful and looks delicious, too!!! I had fruit pizza years ago at someone's home, but yours looks extra good with the fresh berries and fresh peaches. I'll have to get out my "Southern Lady" magazine and try that recipe -- thanks for sharing with us. :)

    Have a great week!


  6. Simply gorgeous...can't wait to make this!

  7. Looks delicious! I see you are having the same problem as I am (with the left aligned photos). I am afraid to follow the instructions on the Blogger help forum because I am afraid I might mess it up more. Have you tried anything yet?
    Thanks, Shelley

    1. I am horrified to insert the code (as was suggested on the help forum). I have also had other glitches (new post appears when I edit an old one), which are, apparently, widespread. The time has come for me to try to understand Wordpress.:-(

  8. Wow, that looks beautiful and the ingredients sound delish.

  9. Michael Lee, Your fruit pizza is mouth-watering, especially your last big, beautiful photo! I've only made a fruit pizza using a cookie dough crust but this would be less sweet and I love the addition of mint and a honey drizzle! The sound of cicadas is the sound of summer to me. :)

  10. Absolutely gorgeous Michael! Enjoy:@)

  11. Wow that looks amazing! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

  12. Such gorgeous food! I will feature today at Home Sweet Home! Thanks for sharing!

  13. Mouthwatering, but it's the beauty and clarity of your pics that bowl me over!they speak to me...