Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Blueberry Bread

Here lately, I've been baking like crazy. Some recipes aren't successful, like my tomato cake, which went off-script in a wild sort of way, and I'm still working on on a solution; other recipes involve a store-bought mix, which is pretty hard to mess up. One successful baking project involved fat, plump blueberries and the aforementioned mix.

 Even I, the mad baker, couldn't wreck it.

Loaded Blueberry Bread
Serves 6

1 box blueberry muffin mix (one that includes a small tin of blueberries)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 pint fresh blueberries

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan (I used a 9 x 5-inch pan). Drain canned blueberries and set aside. Into a large mixing bowl, add mix, water, oil, and eggs. Stir until ingredients are blended. Fold in drained (canned) blueberries and 3/4 pint fresh blueberries. Pour batter into the loaf pan. Add remaining blueberries on top of the batter (the berries will sink down a bit). Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until top of loaf has browned. Remove from oven and cool 15 minutes. Invert loaf onto a wire rack. Cool thoroughly, at least 1 hour, if you're planning to ice the loaf. (Be sure to place waxed paper under the wire rack if you plan to do this.) I added a simple powdered sugar glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 to 4 teaspoons water. You can substitute cream for the water if you like a thicker icing. Whisk, then drizzle over the loaf. Serve with whipped cream and garnish with fresh berries.



Since this turned out well, I can't wait to try a scratch recipe. My thighs will need a new zip code, but that's okay. I'm just happy to be in the kitchen again.

Shared at:

28 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I've never heard of tomato bread.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I found a vintage recipe, but it was too complicated for me. So I tinkered. Really, it was too moist and rich (my husband ate a slice and pronounced it "very sweet"). To me, it was a dead ringer for anatomy class in nursing school, and I couldn't even take a bite. I haven't given up on a sweet tomato cake; I'll try the vintage recipe. But I'm not putting the last of the heirloom tomatoes at risk, though.

      Delete
  3. I'm always looking for a good Blueberry recipe and your Blueberry bread looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put blueberries in anything and you've got a winner, yum! Have I missed an update on your mother? Is she "on the mend"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's much better! She's home, reunited with her beloved Jazzy. They'll be staying with me this fall, and we're going to do some vintage recipes. Thank you for asking. xxoo

      Delete
    2. That's wonderful news on your mom's health and what pleasure you'll both derive cooking and baking and spending precious time together. Blessings to all.

      Delete
  5. After seeing your post of this on IG the other night, I made one last night....it was sooooo good. I added fresh berries too....I added a little vanilla to my glaze (powdered sugar, milk, vanilla). This is a keeper recipe and I plan to make one for our family get together at the lake at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks amazing!! The glaze reminds me of the cinnamon bread in the grocery but, this looks even better! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thighs are already there! This looks yummy! I also love the blue checked linens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I will need to go on a diet after these experiments. :-0

      Delete
  8. Ahh...such a beautiful post. Love the bread with those dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blueberry bread and all the gorgeous vignettes on the table and in the hutch are making me "blue" with envy. '-) Love all these sweet details....the urn filled with flowers, the tea set, the delicious blueberry bread, and all those white dishes, cow creamers, and the stack with words.
    Enjoy your sweet treats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm your blueberry bread looks so berrilicious, Michael Lee, and your setting is beautiful. Wish I could sit and have a slice with you with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh it looks so good. I am going to try it and many thanks for the recipe.

    Have a great rest of the week. It's still to hot here to bake, but I can hardly wait to start when it cools off a little.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful table with lovely flowers, tea set and that yummy blueberry loaf. I could eat half of it I know.
    Love your bokeh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My eyes keep getting drawn to your gorgeous flower arrangement and your blue and white tea set and delicious details in your hutch! Your bread looks scrumptious too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aren't you clever to make a blueberry mix taste homemade with fresh berries! Your table is lovely-
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun post = and your food styling is award winning here. Love it.

    I don't buy mixes because for some odd reason my palate can taste the preservatives - which just wigs me out.

    I hope your scratch recipe works perfectly too - you are NOT a novel baker, haha.

    Good to see you, sorry I have been absent. Life, ya know? Huge hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I meant you are not a NOVICE baker - not novel baker, that you are. Doh.
    /rolls my eyes at myself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. After you rinse your berries, let them drain on a paper towel. Lightly dust them with flour then add to your batter. This will keep them evenly distributed throughout your loaf instead of sinking to the bottom. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM, wish you lived closer, your blueberry bread would be great with my morning coffee! Beautiful post .....I can taste the delish bread!
    Have a great weekend!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness. Beautiful all. Thoses dishes are to die for! Is that a pattern i could track down? <3 melissa atkinson

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds divine and your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete