Sunday, September 18, 2016

Autumn Nesting


This is my first September on the hilltop, and I'm watching everything. Birds, clouds, leaves, the moon. The days are hot and humid, but evening arrives with crisp edges, sometimes with fog. The atmospheric change is abrupt, as if I have stepped down into a cool, damp cellar.  


As we move toward the equinox (September 22), I'm ready to pack summer away for another year. My thoughts turn away from iced lemonade and key lime pie, and suddenly I'm craving apple bread and hot, orange-spiced tea. Soon it will be time to set out pumpkins and cornstalks. I'm waiting for cooler weather. Just being practical (I hate cleaning up pumpkins after they go soft and mushy). But I prefer to nest in stages and layers. 

I haven't bought grocery store flowers in a while. The garden keeps giving and giving. To be sure, I'm planting lantana and marigolds next spring. They thrived in the blistering heat, even when I was away and couldn't water them.

Leaves blow onto the porch, and I don't dare sweep them away. They show me that everything is changing, that the earth is shifting, bringing us closer to winter. 
Now is the time to play outside and drink in simple pleasures.

The days are shorter, but they feel wider somehow. 

 

When I stopped by an antique shop, I saw a Halloween lantern pillow that said, "I'd rather be a pumpkin head than a pumpkin pie."

Really, that sums up everything.

Shared at 



18 comments:

  1. The change of seasons...so beautifully said. Love your bench and fun persimmon colors. And your pumpkin head guy...so cute. And, you have given me a reason not to sweep the leaves off the porch each day. Thank you for that. :-) Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your early Fall decor... I just bought mums today, first garden purchase since the Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to see you begin autumn decorating at your ranchburger. I cant wait to see how it all evolves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures, and your new collage header for fall is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a lovely bench on which to sit and read, or think autumnal thoughts~

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely taste of fall! Our leaves are changing rapidly, the colors are starting to pop outside my windows. It's a beautiful sight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh...you have a beautiful hilltop. Glad you are taking in all the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous vignette! I too have been soaking in this gorgeous season! ;)
    Rebeca

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling fall tableau and I love those vibrant pillows and throw and the wall planter! I agree with you about easing into the fall (holiday) decor. I hope we have an Indian summer this fall to make up for the scorching summer so many of us experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your porch looks beautiful! What a gorgeous view you have from your hilltop! I would sit there for hours and enjoy the surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so agree with you on your take of wanting fall but taking it in stages while it's still hot. If this is your first layer, I cannot wait to see you pile it on! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I could sit in your chairs and drink in all your scenery from your hilltop! I laughed out loud at 'I'd rather be a pumpkin head than a pumpkin pie' :) I love your fall nest with pillows and pretty blooming aqua post box. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your bench and all the fall goodness! The pic overlooking the beautiful scene is breathtaking! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The chairs are so cute ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's always enjoyable to read your thoughts on subjects. I feel as you do as Autumn is approaching and I'm ready to embrace it. I love how you've displayed the bench with the pillows and throw. The scarecrow is cute! I have one this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your porch is absolutely beautiful. Happy fall!

    ReplyDelete