Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Underporch: Part 3

The Underporch is an outdoor space at our house. Literally, it's a porch beneath a porch. Above, you'll find a 2nd floor screened porch. Below, you'll find the Underporch. 


Exterior stairs plunge down to a walkway, and just a few steps away, you'll find the Underporch.  In its former life, it was a carport and storage area. For a history of this area, read Part I and/or Part 2. 


                       

                                         


In the spring, I took advantage of a few warm days and cleaned the Underporch.

I moved everything to the garage so I could scrub this area. The idea was to return the items to the exact spot, but, as it happened, everything in this photo has been moved inside. The table is in the sunroom, the chairs are currently in the kitchen, and the rolling shelf is destined for the potting shed. 

In the meantime, leaves collected in the Underporch. I painted furniture. I gardened, cooked, ate too much, and weathered through a tumultuous summer. Sometimes I would pass by the Underporch and wonder if life would ever calm down for a few days so I could move our stuff back into place. I'd loved how it turned out. If only I hadn't been in a cleaning mood.
But the room was gestating, finding it's own voice. 
Sometimes life slows us down for a reason. 
But during the long gestation, Underporch became a holding area. A place to paint and figure out what goes where.

When I had a free afternoon, I worked hard. 
You may remember my father's old gate-leg table (it's against the stone wall). I wasn't sure what to do with it. It was too deep for the potting shed, and besides, it had been damaged horribly during the move. I was determined to restore it.

Then I saw a shelf at a local antique store, and I knew it would be perfect for the table. 


At first, I painted the pieces sour apple. I loved the color, but my instincts told me to keep trying.

Next, I tried a minty color. 

I kept tinkering. I mixed a bunch of paint and worked in the fading light. Greens, blues, aqua, cream. I couldn't mix it again if I tried! The next morning, I got out the sandpaper. 




 The Underporch has one long wall. My father's table (which is now a hutch) is in the center of that wall. 


On either side, I created little vignettes. You know, nothing serious, just playing.


 



 

The Underporch is rectangular. This is the doorway to the garage.
But I think it may be a doorway to fun, too.


 




Well, that's the story . . . so far. Because the story hasn't ended. The Underporch has her own style and her own timetable. I can't wait to see what the next chapter brings.

Shared at:



36 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous. I can't wait to see the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the apple green better than the mint green - but I like the Michael Green the best. I love the beginnings of this room. You really are figuring out this special spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The darker green is called Sour Apple (milk paint), which I found at a local store, and I liked it so much, i bought a bigger can. lol

      Delete
  3. I want to come live in your underporch. I love every single thing you've done it. The hutch and table are so pretty in that color with all your flower pots and watering cans. I'd be so happy if you'd share this at our new party: Monday Social.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and for the invitation!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous Michael Lee!! The pumpkins and flowers really bring the space to life!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely area that you have created! I love how you incorporated your father's table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you have other pretty spots, but that table calls to me to sit and enjoy a pretty fall afternoon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neighborhood cat, Gladys, hangs out here, too, so that makes the porch even more special. Thanks for visiting, Vicki~!

      Delete
  7. You have created a lovely cozy space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful styling! I love the idea of an underporch ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your vignettes are always "poifect"! Too bad you aren't able to replicate that color concoction again because it's poifect too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amei o armário verde. Belas inspirações.
    Tenha uma ótima semana.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would spend a lot of time in that lovely outdoor room. It would be a great place to have friends over for 'tea' , and a great private reading spot too - I can see myself in a comfy rocking chair with a blanket on my legs reading a great book....sigh....lucky you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A rocker, book, and blanket sounds heavenly!

      Delete
  12. Gosh, I love that underporch and how you play! I also love how the shadows play.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your under porch is just perfect! I love the way your father's table and hutch turned out. It looks perfect with your table and chairs. All of your vignettes around the porch look absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michael,
    Your under porch is looking fantastic. The hutch made from your father's table and vintage find are perfect for the space with the old watering cans on top. Thanks for the inspiration and sharing at Monday Social.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful!!! Everything is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you rescued your dad's gate-leg table and found that hutch piece to go with it. What a great color you concocted for it. It's truly a one of a kind! The under porch is going to provide a lot of fun settings for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the underporch. It is perfection. The hutch is fantastic. What a great marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking up to Monday Social. We appreciate so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poor Hubby, we are in the middle of the remodel, and I have been gestating ...lol. Love that word for walking around with my finger in my nose/brain. But, change is a serious...well, change. You let the space speak to you----and it did with dulcet tones worthy of the views, the stones and the heritage of the pieces. Love your results, and my gestation---tells me, my kitchen has to have red. How, I'm not yet sure, but we will see. Thanks, love your, 'spot'. Grins, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the hutch it looks great painted on your dads table.. And I love the chairs around the big table. What color are those I really loke them.. It all came out lovely.. Mama has a double deck and when we re-do it I want to close it in like that. Very nice job your doing. With love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sure I've told you before, but I'll say it again, I just love your underporch. The stone walls just sing to me! I especially love that you are letting this porch take on it's own personality as many times as it wants. The newly painted hutch and table are a wonderful pop of color. You mix paints like I do. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Come by and see your feature @ Monday Social Number 4. I love this porch. Thanks for linking up. https://katietreasures.blogspot.com/2016/10/monday-social-address-link-party-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there, I'm visiting from the Monday Social. I adore your underporch--pinned! Blessings, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete