Monday, October 10, 2016

Lunch in the Butterfly Garden

 
A few years ago, when we bought a 70s ranch house, I was charmed by a fenced rose garden. After the remodeling process, we made an alarming discovery: the bushes had every symptom of rose rosette disease.  Since there's no treatment, the bushes were removed and destroyed. I slowly began building a butterfly garden.


The garden has a tucked away feel, but it's only a few steps from the back patio.


At one end, it is bordered by a row of burning bushes, and they are just starting to change color.

We're blessed with healthy hydrangeas . . . and disgustingly healthy weeds.

From here, you have a view of the potting shed.



We had a late spring in middle Tennessee, and I didn't buy flowers. My main task was to remove the dead and/or diseased roses. In June, I planted salvia and lavender, but I quickly realized that this garden would be a challenge. Digging took forever because the soil consists of a few inches of mulch, and beneath that is cement-like rocky clay. Next spring, the first step will be to amend the soil. As for adding annuals and perennials, I'm making notes in a garden journal. I've learned that butterflies love the lantana as much as they love the buddleia. But this will be a long (and delightful) process to create this garden.

 

Naturally, I'll leave space for my dear, chippy table.
The table setting is simple: the dishes are by Royal Doulton (Chef Gordon Ramsay's line). Linens are by April Cornell. I'm not sure who makes the wooden flatware or tumblers (I found them at HomeGoods).
  

    
       
 If you have recommendations for flowers that attract butterflies, I'd love to hear them.
I hope your week is off to a great start.

Shared at:

18 comments:

  1. Your little secret garden is so pretty. Milkweed and butterfly bush are great for attracting butterflies. Monarchs really like milkweed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael Lee, They love the lantana at my place too. Another favorite is Verbena bonariensis. And, of course, the host plants for the larva (caterpillars): milkweed for monarchs and parsley/fennel/dill for the swallowtails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful hideaway for lunch with the butterflies! Just lovely. Lantana (Verbena family) is good for me to attract butterflies. They hover around them constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfectly lovely spot for you to enjoy lunch with the butterflies. It's like a private sanctuary for you to ponder the JOYS in your life. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flowers on the table are just beautiful. Happy Monday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful spot to have a lunch or early dinner. Everything is beautiful on your table.
    The butterfly's love the butterfly bush and milkweed. that's what I have in my back yard and they love it.

    Wishing you a wonderful Fall week.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful secret garden ! I would feel very relaxed and content there...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful area inspired by nature and you're making it your own. I agree why rush to get "get it done" enjoy your thyme creating your space. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely beautiful! I look so forward to your posts. I love that you use lots of gorgeous color! I am such a color person. Your butterfly garden is lovely, and your tablescape is so pretty. I love the Jacobean print linens. I know that milkweed attracts butterflies. They also seem to like my dianthus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet spot in the garden, Michael Lee. The AC linens are gorgeous (that's the brand of table linens I was lusting over, yet passed on in my recent vintage shopping). The burning bushes are so beautiful this time of year, and even though the weeds may be healthy, it's still such a great place to retreat to and just relax in, knowing the season is coming to an end, and there'll be plenty of time to plan its future. Enjoy your week.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty setting! Love the idea of creating a butterfly garden. There is a nice plant called butterfly weed that produces a flower with small orange clusters that the butterflies love. The tablecloth is so pretty- love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Swoon! What a beautiful table by your butterfly garden with a view of your Potting Shed! I love your beautiful tablecloth! Our burning bushes have several more weeks to go before they begin to put on their fall show. Your Gulf fritillary butterfly looks perfectly content to sip on the nectar of the lantana. If you plant passion flower vine you'll be covered in butterflies and caterpillars! It can be invasive but it's fun to watch the butterflies and bees enjoy the blooms. Mine has been completely defoliated and I'm waiting for the last couple of caterpillars to finish it off before cutting it down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to eat there it so elegant and looks peaceful. Please come share this at the Homesteader Hop we would love to have you! https://www.floydfamilyhomestead.com/2016/10/12/the-homesteader-hop-24/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well your butterfly garden looks lovely... you can sit and enjoy your potting shed with the butterflies floating on by... what a nice way to spend a day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just gorgoeus Michael Lee! Your garden must be a favorite spot to dine! Thank you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete