Monday, October 31, 2016

Not Your Typical Before and After

This is not a post that features a "meh" before and an awesome after. Rather, I'm sharing an "after" that's experimental. 
The objective was to see if a hall tree would work in the foyer, using items I already had.

The foyer is really part of one big living room, separated by arched openings.

I have been puzzled about this room for a long while. 

As you can see, the hall tree is at one end, in the foyer. Moving down, in the living room, I added a primitive farm table. (The chair has been replaced with a black Hitchcock chair, another experiment.) 

I wasn't sure if I wanted to repeat a table/art/lamp vignette in such close proximity to the foyer. 

The hat rack seemed like a good configuration. I gathered the items: a hanging rack and an old coffee table. If you visit me regularly, you know how I hate to hammer nails into a virgin wall. After the deed was done--thankfully, it only took one nail--my hall tree looked very odd. I gathered scarves and my boots. Meh. I paced the room, wondering if I should take it down or keep it for a day. Maybe I could loot the shed for a bench. No, I wasn't ready to put more time and energy into my concoction. This was an experiment.  
Here lately, I've been having a lot of meh moments in design. I resisted going down that rabbit hole and focused on the rack. Okay, negatives. Oh, sunshine, do you really have to ask that question?
Let's stick to the positives. I like the comfort of having a place to hang your sweater. The walking sticks came in handy when I had a concussion in 2015; but I also happen to be a big cane ho.  Even if the meh vignette stays, the wooden bench won't be permanent; that much I know. It's my favorite tea table.

After I draped it with weeds, I liked it better. But I like weeds when they aren't in my garden.
The foyer is a wide, narrow galley. The living room has many windows and doorways--little wall space. So really, the foyer is a great spot for art. But I still like the idea of a hall tree. It's so practical and comforting. I'll have to think about it. For now, the weeds are fun.
This post was sponsored by Rattlebridge Weeds, Incorporated.

Shared at:

28 comments:

  1. I like it! Very clever to create a hall tree of your own, ML. Do you have a bench with a back, like a church pew? I like the basket of walking sticks. It provides great texture and visual interest. I love this space with the beautiful wood floors and all that light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Wonderful styling ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this makeover! It is so cute. It looks perfect in you space. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it very much and I think it works fine. Of course, it's what you like and if it's workable for you.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your hall tree and basket of canes very much. It does not repeat the primitive table set up nearby, which looks really wonderful, btw, especially with that French chair. A useable bench is a good idea for your entry. Perhaps you have one already or you never know, you may find a nice interesting rustic one some day on one of your jaunts, perhaps with a curved back which would help break up the lines of that space. Your happy style just leaps off the page! I think the phoenix is rising from the ashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas, Yolie! I sure hope the Phoenix is rising. :-) xx

      Delete
  6. I actually like both of them, but then that is the beauty of decorating, to be able to change up things when the mood hits. Everything you do is always lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I very much like this idea and the addition of the "weeds" really brought it to life!
    I would consider adding a long bench and a floor lamp. That's a wonderful collection of walking sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has a light, airy feeling to it and I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are beautiful but the after is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree but love the transformation! so refreshing ;)

      Delete
  10. You are having fun with you creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this, I love the Rattlebridge weeds! And I also love the basket of canes. I say it stays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving it! That scarf is pretty enough to be your art work! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is wonderful to see your transformation after the punches 2015 landed on you and yours! Time truly heals the body and spirit, plus Mr Big and Zap have an inside track with the Man upstairs to lead your way back. Love those weeds! Wild, like our creative urges that must be let loose, to remind us we're alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such kind and lovely thoughts, Nancy!

      Delete
    2. Oh, Nancy, thank you so much for these kind words. I miss those little boys like crazy, and your words bring comfort. xx00

      Delete
  14. I like the wild weeds, and I'm now envisioning Christmas greens. The hat rack is a definite, "Stay", that can be decorated each holiday/season.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always wanted a hall tree. For some reason we've never owned a home that a good spot for one. Yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your pumpkin and cane vignette. Your canes/walking sticks look almost like a flower arrangement of branches. Love it. Even your weeds. ha ha. Wishing you a great week. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have no right to an opinion having never visited you before, though I do have one. =D What a beautiful space! Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness Michael Lee, I just LOVE the hall tree that you created!!!! My favorite part is the greenery (ok, weeds!), as they add such a freshness to the area. It is so inviting, that I just want to stare at it. I have an old black bench that would look great fixed like that. I hope after the weeds fade, you can find something to take their place. Your AFTER looks so much more free spirited and whimsical, and I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You can find art and table and stuff on it all over the place...
    THIS looks amazing and probably no one on the planet has this very set up...I might like this more than an actual hall tree....a bench to sit upon seems to be called here....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all that greenery you added. It just makes the whole area come alive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks perfect! I love canes and walking sticks by the front door!

    ReplyDelete