Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Charm of a Store-bought Picnic

It is a sunny, mellow afternoon in October, the kind that makes you crave a picnic. But I wasn't prepared. The fast-food cupboard was empty, and I didn't have time to bake something from scratch.  Also, I didn't want to miss one moment of this warm, sparkling day. All too soon we'll be pulling on boots and heavy sweaters. I dashed off to the grocery, gathering a few delectable items.


A breeze scattered leaves over our feet as we walked to the cul-de-sac. It's tucked between the garden and trellesis, a charming semi-circle. I'm constantly discovering little, private places on this hilltop, and, best of all, the land in the backyard is mostly level, which means the food doesn't slide off the table.

Outdoor meals can be grand or simple, but some menus call for a relaxed attitude. At the deli, I picked up sandwiches, red pepper relish-and-turkey pinwheels, boxed hand pies, fruit, pumpkin bread, and wine.



 


After last week's cold snap, I was delighted to put on short sleeves. I lolled around on the blanket, surprised when I heard the high-pitched whine of a mosquito, a reminder that we don't have the great outdoors to ourselves. I covered the desserts with plastic wrap, and a mesh dome kept curious insects away from the sandwiches. 

  








Looking away from the garden, we had a view of the mountains.

Same direction but a different angle, and suddenly we're hidden.


 Just the idea of a picnic sparks a playful, childlike joy. It's a break in routine and decorum. And food always tastes better outside, doesn't it? After the meal ended, we continued to drink in the luscious afternoon: laughter, bird song, comical squirrels, and rustling trees. 

Shared at:

22 comments:

  1. I love a picnic! The chef and I gathered up goodies, filled a picnic basket, and headed to the hill country last Sunday. I didn't get any photos, but we certainly had a great afternoon with friends who shared in the goods. Thanks for sharing your sunny picnic on the lawn. Beautiful and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely charming, and now everybody's hankering for a picnic! We "discovered" a marvelous secluded little walking park a couple of weeks ago in our meanderings of the countryside, and this weekend promises a little picnic a deux out in this October sunshine.

    Yours is so welcoming and colourful, with all the Fall shades, and what a feast! Lovely to see and to contemplate, and I hope you many more during these gorgeous Autumn days.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful color of a wonderful fall pallet. This picnic whets my appetite for sure. Lovely setting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a SIPLE lunch! Wow, your hubby is one blessed man!! I wish we had been able to join you, this looks wonderful! Your setting is spectacular! SIGH.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picnic really looks charming ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael, I love this so much! What a gorgeous view to enjoy during such a special picnic! Those gorgeous sunflowers,the food, love every bit of this! And I love the idea of not having to do a bunch of preparation. That would definitely inspire me to take more picnics. Love the picture of the kitty weaving through the legs of the little table...so cute! He/she looked very friendly, no doubt trying to talk you into sharing your meal. lol Happy Fall to you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Looks right out of a magazine. Love your display pieces, especially the little round table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a lot of fun and the food sounds perfect. So glad that you had a gorgeous day. Love all the decorations.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous setting. A perfect fall picnic.

    Marilyn (in Dallas)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kind of meal and atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a storybook setting- love it! Love the galvanized accessories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We really enjoy our store bought picnics that we usually end up having inside. This is a lovely setting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always up for a picnic, Michael Lee, especially when the setting is so beautiful and the food so tempting! Your hilltop is indeed a special place. Hopefully the mosquitoes will leave you soon. Ours are gone for sure after the snow we had this morning! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your picnick is gorgeous....fancy! Love it. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was a good call and I see Gladys decided to join in the fall celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gladys is a hoot! I'm so glad she adopted me.

      Delete
  16. I love everything about this, but particularly (and this might seem strange), the little prayer flag-like fabric tassels. I'm assuming that you made those, am I right? It adds movement and color. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pattie. Yes, I made the prayer flags. I found a branch in the yard and tied the fabric with twine to make little bow ties.

      Delete
  17. What a lovely setting for a picnic. Everything is so inviting. Thanks for sharing.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Michael Lee, I'm galvanized to picnic this morning after scrolling up and down these photoss! You know I love everything about this picnic from your leaf strewn setting to your beautiful plates, baskets and store bought spread! Great minds shop alike...I have the same vintage green picnic basket and admired your wonderful plates at HG recently! Our mosquitoes are most definitely still humming, it's back in the 80s here this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty! I love the bright colored fabric ribbons! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will feature this tomorrow at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete