Monday, December 12, 2016

Quick Appetizer Wreath for Exhausted Cooks


December is a month-long feast, a time for parties and pot lucks. Every event, large or small, is a food lover's dream, and you'll have the honor of sampling the host's finest dishes. Potlucks are a delight, because you'll encounter at least one new-to-you recipe, along with the classics. But it can get dicey if you're attending six potlucks in five days--and you've promised to bring a dish to each one.

 Between the baking and far-la-laing, a cook can run out of more than butter; she may be short on time and energy.  Grocery stores always have grab-and-go items. But what if you could make an appetizer in five minutes? A festive, interesting, fresh appetizer? 

Quick Appetizer "Wreath" for Exhausted Cooks

What You Need:
1 large platter
fresh herbs: rosemary, basil, sage, oregano, parsley, thyme, chives
cherry or plum tomatoes
1 small jar of pimiento stuffed olives, drained
1 small jar midget pickles, drained
cheddar cheese, cubed
pepper cheese, cubed
toothpicks (place in a nearby bowl)

Arrange herbs on the platter, shaping the strands into a wreath shape. 
Add tomatoes, olives, pickles, cheese.
Sprinkle leftover herbs over wreath.
I love the flexibility of this dish. It can be simple or grand. 
After you've made an herbal base, you can add whatever you like. The usual players--plum tomatoes and cheese--will never let you down. Herbs make a marvelous base for seasoned nuts. If you're not in the mood for something savory, use mint for a foundation, and add fruit, tassies, or bourbon balls. 

For a wreath, I like to use a slightly curved platter. It keeps everything together, especially if you're taking the "wreath" to a party.


 Shared at:
Metamorphosis Monday


16 comments:

  1. That is just beautiful and a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea, perfect for the holidays. I have the perfect server for one, a chip and dip server!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, now this is genius. I love this idea and it all looks so good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this is just clever and adorable and so easy! I love it! Pinning and making! Thanks, Michael Lee!
    Lynda @ Gates of Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea. I just send your link to my sister. She is having a soup party on Wednesday night and I think this tray would be great to serve also. I love your blog.
    Joyously,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made my mouth water when I opened this post! That platter is perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terribly pretty dish, so festive and yummy. I totally agree with you, everyone is always rushed off their feet this month, I wrote about this in my latest post with a super easy impressive meal to make life a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, thank you! We have our dinner group party this coming Sat. and my assignment is an appetizer! This will be it!!! I have a beautiful F and F platter too! WHOO HOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so clever! And, quite frankly....just about perfect for any season! Thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea (to bad all of my fresh herbs are under 6" of snow!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for this wonderful idea - it looks amazing.

    Everything looks great.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. So festive and pretty. A lovely appetizer to enjoy this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete