Monday, February 13, 2017

The Joy of Winter Flowers



"What a pretty bouquet," the check-out lady said. "Are you having a party?"
No, just brightening the house, I answered. Flowers always have a way of creating a little magic. As I walked out of the grocery, I held the flowers, the paper wrapper crinkling against my coat, feeling happy and festive, as if I were on my way to a wedding or other happy occasion.

It's true--wintertime flowers are an indulgence. But so are Pringles, Reeses Cups, and sugared donuts. This winter, I gave up that unholy (but adored) trio and bought flowers. My treat is seeing hydrangeas in February. 
As I arrange the flowers, a peaceable feeling comes over me. Each petal adds color, gaiety, and 
hope--a reminder that winter is just one season away from spring.  

 When the coral roses wilted, I removed them (you can save the petals for potpourri) and made a smaller arrangement.

My mother can get more mileage out of a bouquet than anyone I know, and I asked her to share a little wisdom.

  • Keep a small trash can in the garage. Add water. When you return from the grocery, set the flowers into the can. They'll receive a good, long drink while you go about your chores.
  • Mother fills a plastic tub with water and cuts stems while they are submerged.Otherwise, she swears that little air bubbles can form in the stems, leading to early withering.
  • Change the water in the vase every day--and rinse the vase.
  • Pluck withering blossoms fearlessly and find a smaller vase for the still-fresh flowers.

Shared at:


16 comments:

  1. So pretty and flowers do make you feel so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mother's tips, and I have loved all the fun with flowers you've been sharing-so many beautiful vignettes, and flowers always bring a feeling of serenity to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your post. Fresh flowers are always a JOY.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your mother's tips. Thank her for sharing with everyone.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them...I agree that fresh flowers are a joy to the soul/spirit. And you know what they say about those wonderful sugary treats, a minute on the lips and forever on the hips. ha ha. I am guilty. I need to switch over to flowers also. Thank you for that idea! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photography and words are just beautiful. You need to write another novel. ;-) Thank you for sharing your mother's tips. I've always changed the water every day, but didn't know about the other tips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lovely bouquet. I always buy myself flowers. I mean, who in this household is more important than me? I bought two bunches of tulips yesterday and look forward to watching them bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I will follow your mother's tips when preparing fresh flowers! I've never heard of submerging the stems in water while you cut them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such gorgeous photos! If I hadn't had to write a check to the government for taxes, I might have treated myself this week to a bouquet myself.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flowers! It's the little things, isn't it? I employ some of those tricks myself to be able to savor them longer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! I love a good bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love bouquet of flowers. I have been getting roses from the garden. They are doing so well with all the rain we have been getting. I even had a purple iris bloom, which is early for here.

    Your flowers are so very pretty and your mother is right about how to keep them longer.

    Enjoy your flowers and have a great week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh, those are so pretty - each iteration of arrangement! I love flowers in winter, and my husband encouraged me to get some at the grocery today, but I have so much work to do to get ready for my contractors I sadly passed. I try following much of what your mother suggests, and I knew I would be remiss this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous arrangement! I adore the vibrant pop of coral against your pretty blue jar with the birds in flight. A little lemon-lime soda added to the water will help them last too. :) Love your pretty Portmeirion teapot! Happy Valentine's Day~ I hope you have some 4-legged love soon. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, 'say it with flowers'! I do exactly the same, keep on using the flowers even to the last flower in a small vase. Too precious to just throw away. I love today's presentation, most suitable for Valentine's Day. Oh for the love of flowers....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your mom's tips! Every time I go to Trader Joe's I buy myself some flowers. I've decided that I'm important enough for some beauty and cheeriness.

    ReplyDelete