Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Beginner's Guide to Joyful Living--Day 5


July 5, 2017
Nurture Your Creativity

Every morning I take vitamins for seniors. I'm "only" 63 1/2 years old, but why quibble? On the advice of my doctor, I drink easy-to-digest Ensure (the 80 calorie version), and I also scarf down a few extra B-complex tablets (they're water-soluble). Here lately, because I'm so focused on getting healthy, I sometimes forget to nurture my creativity.


If you lift weights once a month, your muscles may stay puny; but if you work out three times a week for a year, your body will develop contours and strength. Creativity is muscular, too, and it will get flabby if it doesn't receive attention and care. Talent isn't a constant, like being born with blue eyes or curly hair. You can enter this world with oodles of creativity and lose it, just as a neglected tooth decays and falls out. On a regular basis, feed your mind and soul with color, images, words, ideas, and sensations. Work that muscle, baby.
Protect and nurture your gifts, and they will grow stronger.

A few exercises for the creative soul:

Compose a music playlist. Let the songs tell a story. While you listen, write a story.

🌾 🌿 🌾

Look at enticing photographs. Find one that takes you on an imaginary journey. Step into the image. Summon the five senses. What do you see, hear, taste, touch, feel?

🌾 🌿 🌾
Read ten times more than you write.

🌾 🌿 🌾
Never miss an opportunity to engage the senses. Stop by a roadside produce stand and make mental notes about what you see, feel, smell, hear.

🌾 🌿 🌾
A sensory journal will flex your writing muscles. Describe the smell of canaloupe, the taste of key lime pie, the feel of hot sun on your arms, the sound of rain, a bird in flight or puppies at play. If your senses are impaired, reach into the back of your mind and remember everything.

🌾 🌿 🌾

We are wonderfully unique. Not all creative muscles respond to the same nutrients. Do you have a list of creative vitamins? Do you protect your creative time? 



14 comments:

  1. These are wonderful suggestions and I will definitely try them. I am truly enjoying this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just now catching up to your Living Joyfully series, Michael Lee, and I've loved each thoughtfully written day so far. I was in Ohio, joyfully being with my mom last week, to celebrate her 88th birthday, and enjoying the time with her. Thanks for your inspiration in helping us to realize what's important in our lives.
    Hope you had a Happy 4th! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an inspiring series. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your Living Joyful journey. I will begin today working on my creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas!

    For me, like most people, I've had seasons that are busier than others. One thing I like to do during busy seasons is to clean creatively. When I clean, I stop & look/enjoy as I finish then look for ways to improve that area. Sometimes it's just rearranging, taking away things or adding more from my house. Sometimes it's sparks a new fun project to improve or brighten an area. I love exercising creativity this way because it fits so easily into my life & makes my home so much more of a happy place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 66, not reinventing myself but enjoying my free time, enjoying my life. Taking a watercoloring class and hubby and I took a cooking class. I will say since my grandson was born 13 months ago that has taken some time becuz I want to get to know him n bond. But my time is mine and I love it. Oh yes take my vitamins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a few weeks I will be 64 years old. My life is nothing I imagined it would be. I naively thought life got easier as you aged. Older. Wiser. I may be those things but they have not made life easier.
    I'm not complaining. I'm surprised more than anything. This series has come at the right time.
    Sometimes we all just need to push the reset button if we can. Thanks for being real.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the sensory journal idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am visiting grandkids and we have been on the go so very little time to comment. However, I have read and enjoyed all the Joyful Living posts.
    Life is special and I want to enjoy each day. I try not to take anything for granted and feel very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just want you to know I am thoroughly enjoying your Joyful Living Guide posts. Wonderful! Refreshing! Great job and thank you. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've made it a goal to wake up early, go for a walk, and then spend at least an hour in my garden. It seems to feed my soul like nothing else at the moment. Hoping some creative juices will begin to emerge again and give my blog a much needed boost.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea of using our senses to motivate thought and feeling. Exercising our brain. Wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For me the most soul satisfying it's watching the bees buzz from flower to flower and listening the birds sing first thing in the morning. Taking a 30 minute nap in the afternoon helps me recharge too.

    ReplyDelete