Saturday, September 9, 2017

Autumn Garden Goals

The mild, sweet days of September have awakened my gardening soul. I drove to the greenhouse and picked out a few mums and replaced my ragged gloves. I'm not quite ready to buy pansies, but soon. They look so girly and cute with their fat faces and vibrant colors. 

 Mostly, I like to walk around the yard and enjoy every blooming thing.
The butterfly bushes finally took off, and they're so tall, I have to crane my neck. 



This year, we added another"Potties Purple" and a striking purple Emperor. 

 In the trellis beds, I've tucked in rudbeckia, corposeia, yellow mums. They work well with the summer angelonia and who-knows-what-else. My plan is to add mums in the rear of the beds.

As I walked around the yard, I thought about my garden goals for 2018. Come spring, I'd love to see more daffodils. And another peony would be lovely. 

What can I do now?
Quite a bit, actually. I can plant mums and pull up the spent annuals. I can order bulbs and look for the bulb digger. Best of all, I can dream about those pansies.
Goals are important at any age, but it's important to be realistic. I can't plant pansies all over the yard, but I can create a small bed. I will do my best, and it may look a little weird or off-center, but it will be good enough.

Shared at:

11 comments:

  1. I've been analyzing my gardens and dreaming of adding some mums too. It's a great time of the year isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to plant more daffodils this fall, I usually forget to do that until it is too late. Mild temperatures now make this a good time. Perhaps after Irma goes by it will be a perfect time. It has shifted west, so we might be safe from the flooding that was predicted before. Hoping all in Irma's path come through this storm safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest son lives on the N.C. coast, and he reminded me to put away all "projectiles" in the yard, such as bird houses and feeders, as we're expecting wind from Irma.

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks wonderful. My rudbeckia went bye bye when we put in the shed. I miss it on that side of the yard. I had to smile when you said find the bulb digger. I actually bought the bulb auger at a local home improvement store last year and use it. Not as often as I thought though. It's great to plant one bulb in one spot. I am finding that I want to plant in mass, so I have been digging larger holes with a shovel to make it go by quicker. But I love it for getting in between already planted stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've got the right idea about planting daffodils. I bought a sharp, little shovel on Amazon, and it should make digging easier!

      Delete
  4. I so love your garden views and goals. Mine are aligned right alongside yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just came inside from cleaning out the trellis beds. Working in the yard is a good kind of "tired." :-)

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks so good. I also walk around my little yard and think about what I will plant for next Spring. But, if we are going to have another HOT summer, I will not waste my money. Have lost another three rose bushes and the gardener really wacked my hydrangea's, hope they come back next year.

    Have a wonderful week and I hope Irma doesn't effect you there in Nashville.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is a little paradise - and yes, we garden lovers always have plans and whant to change and add. That's how we are. Was a silent reader till now but love the posts you're sharing.
    Happy fall and all my best from Austria
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply beautiful! This was my first year for me in my gardens, so I'm doing lots of assessing; what worked, what needs to be moved, what I want more of, what has to go... the list is a long one. My energy for the gardens is waning, but I'm pressing on. I say, happy gardening until the frost kills it all.

    ReplyDelete