Monday, September 11, 2017

Hilltop Trellis Garden

 
This post really should be titled, In Praise of Raised Beds or Gardening for People Who Don't Have Muscles. Otherwise, you'd be reading about one of my failed apple cakes. Luckily, our home came with an established yard, which included three raised beds in a trellis garden. I never realized how much they would change the way I garden.
  
I worked all weekend in the beds, removing the spent annuals, replacing them with mums, and when I was finished, I didn't have to look for the Advil. That's a first. 

Earlier this year, I'd planted mixed annuals, and they thrived until August. I kept thinking they'd perk up, but when they didn't, I rolled up my sleeves, gathered my courage, and pulled them up. 
Goodbye, sweet annuals. You did your best.

 In the summer of 2016, I didn't have to pull up anything. I'd planted yellow lantana and cheery orange marigolds, and they loved the dry, hot days. I'm definitely planting them next year. Sturdy, drought-tolerant, and tough--they are exactly what an over 60 gardener needs.  Lantana and marigolds are, in the long run, thrifty, because the colors will take the trellis beds into autumn. 
I didn't plant lantana and marigolds this year because their roots went all the way to Antarctica, and I had to call in the Menfolk to help dig them up. (If only I'd just pulled up the flowers after the first frost--simple solution.)

This year was a rather tough time for the trellis beds. The diseased rose bushes -- we had 8 -- succumbed to rose rosette, and we had to pull them up and destroy them. I haven't decided what, if anything, I'll plant in the empty spaces. I rather like the controlled wildness (barely controlled!) of the mixed vines on the trellesis. Below, in between the raised beds, the calm spaces are a nice contrast. 

The wee bird house keeps watch over the flowers. If only she could talk. She'd tell us the gossip about the bees and butterflies and wandering deer.



I have mentioned this before, but I'm impressed with angelonias. They're tough as the marigolds--and a lot less invasive than the lantana. Below, you can see the tall purple wands drifting in the rudbeckia.

 Certainly, there's enough chaos and cheer to make any gardener happy.


My cones withered long ago, but I couldn't help myself from bringing home a pot for the front porch.


Shared at
Amaze Me Monday

16 comments:

  1. Michael Lee, you inspire me. I need to get busy in our garden. It needs a good cleaning and lots of pruning. I'll need to get on it this week. Your raised beds are glorious. Thanks for sharing and for inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working in the yard this time of year is a tonic. How are your chocolate plants doing?

      Delete
  2. I'm with you re: the raised beds. My husband had a heart attack a few years ago and that summer he built himself raised beds in his garden and forever was done with using the tiller. This year my neighbor gave me a raised bed and it was so easy! I have a whiskey barrel in front of my porch that I planted with lantana and I have lots of orange marigolds and coneflowers in my little front garden. They thrive. Like you, my knockout roses are about done for, and I haven't figure out what to replace them with. I have been tempted by a little dwarf butterfly bush "Miss Molly" but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Let us know if you decide on something. PS I love your blog because you're a kindred sister, gardening and decorating-wise, and also you don't do "sponsored" posts. If I read "I partnered with..." one more time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look into the "Miss Molly" butterfly bush! I'd thought to replace the roses with limelights, but I'm just not willing to deep holes just yet. LOL Thank you for your kind words about my blog.

      Delete
  3. Very fallish and pretty! Such great colors you've got there. I sometimes miss my bigger gardens and pond, but I've made do with what I have. Love yours!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never planted marigolds, so that's good to know about those roots - thanks. Your beds look great, and yes, I love space too. Lol, my husband likes the garden best when it's all cut back and lots of space in between....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lantana's roots were very difficult to yank up (but I was a bit puny last spring, so don't let me put a damper on this plant). I'd left the marigolds and lantana in the beds from frost until spring, too.

      Delete
  5. Well, it sounds like you're well "on the mend" to have accomplished the planting beds! And even if those kind of tasks leave one tired out, it's the good kind of tired, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks great, so full of color. Since we moved I now have a nothing garden and have planted a few mums but nothing exciting yet. I am looking forward to spring already when I want to plant flowers and see bees, butterflies and humming birds. so am looking at your blog and taking notes, those marigold are beautiful.
    Nonie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way. I bought 20 daffodil bulbs yesterday, and I can't wait to get them into the ground.

      Delete
  7. Your flowers beds are really lovey. I love the raised beds also. This 82 year old granny has a hard time unless they are raised.

    Hope that you are only getting some rain and not the wind from Irma.

    Take care and have a wonderful week. Hows Jasper?

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, just a little wind. Jasper is doing great! A little tubby, but we're going on morning walks, which he loves.

      Delete
  8. Your raised beds look beautiful and fallish! I have some serious cleaning and removing of summer annuals to do after our wind and rain from Irma. Your little butterfly house is adorable, I hope some winged beauties have found shelter inside from the storm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I love your mums and all the golden fall colors. I'm envious of your raised beds. I have raised vegetable beds, but my flowers gardens are not. Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete