Saturday, September 30, 2017

Part 2 of A Pool House-into-a-She Shed: 1 Week Later

A week ago, I was in the middle of a long overdue DIY project: transforming a 70s era pool house into a She Shed. I plodded along, working diligently and passionately, if ineptly. The rest of the little cottage is waiting for another coat of paint and brainstorming, but I wanted to share my progress.






Tyler surprised me by cleaning and painting the refrigerator. It had rusted. Since chemicals set off my asthma, I was all set to hire someone to fix up the fridge, but Tyler came to the rescue. Below, you can see the before and after. He also painted all of the upper cabinets and along the ceiling.
Above, you can see part of a day bed and our Christmas tree. I'm looking forward to fixing up this area. I haven't quite decided what to do with the brick wall. 

Below, we bought new plate covers for the light switches, and I changed the cabinet hardware. I really wanted something nature-themed, but the price was a little wild. The old pulls will be put into my stash box for future use; but for this project, the many pulls plus the ORB finish fought for attention this small space. Also, I'd hoped to use knobs on the upper and lower cabinet doors (and pulls on the drawers), but I quickly realized I'd have to fill in the extra holes and repaint--a project for another day! The simple, polished nickel pulls were $3.47 each. Since I needed 22, this felt like a splurge, but I do like the finish with the cabinets. And I like how they'll work with my galvanized watering cans and chairs.


I'd planned to paint the Formica, but I'm glad I waited. I'd chosen semi-gloss white, but now, I rather like the contrast. If I do paint the counter, I'll go with color.

You may remember the pink and mauve tile floor. 


We bought poster board and slipped it under the rug, just to see how a lighter floor would look. 
I love it. While I'm not ready to re-do the floor, at least I have a goal.

 I had a bunch of pumpkins and mums from another project, and I brought them to the She Shed (I love saying that!). Also, the moment I began the project, I knew I couldn't deal with the pink/mauve tile, so I ordered a rug from Amazon. Everything else came from the basement. Hopefully, I'll be able to tackle that area soon. It's all jumbled. Since the shed's kitchen has plenty of storage, I have no excuse not to get moving and get organized.
 A few notes:
I used chalk paint (Valspar's "Kid Gloves) on the cabinets (I didn't love it as much as the milk paint that I bought at an antique mall--but the little pots are so expensive). However, I will use the Valspar again (chalky paint) for the rest of the shed's cabinetry (but only because I can buy it locally; also, I have leftover quarts). I wish I could find a local dealer for Annie Sloane.
 I tried to buy samples of wall paint at Lowe's, but something went wrong, and the off white came out baby girl pink, so it didn't go home with me. Luckily, Sherwin Williams had a 40% off sale, so I bought several cans of "Creamy."

Because I wanted a few open shelves, I tried and tried to remove the cabinet doors, but the screws were stripped, and besides, I could see where chunks of wood would have to be filled. It was a little more than I was willing to do at this time.
But someday.


  I'm excited to have a place to work and play.

Pool House-into-a-She Shed
Part 1 

Shared at:
Amaze Me Monday
Wow Us Wednesdays

29 comments:

  1. It's like having your own playhouse. What fun you'll have! It already looks so festive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am just stupefied at all that has been done in a week. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute she-shed! Years ago I had a garage apartment behind my house and fixed it up as a guest house. When I had no guests, it was for me.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited for you! You have made great progress in a short period of time. Looking forward to the next episode of the She Shed. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fantastic, Michael Lee! You have such an eye for design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute!! I'm still waiting on my garden/she shed to be built. I say this every year, but maybe next year. Big projects are done so I say it's shed time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have us all drooling over your She Shed. It's really coming along beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how adorable! My grandgirls would love your guest house and the décor is just as great.
    Awesome!
    Fabby

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be beyond excited to have a nice air-conditioned place to play when I wanted to play and leave it when I didn't want to clean up.
    The rug was a great idea. All your pumpkins and fall decor look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michael Lee! Oh, you've been going to town on your little she shed! It looks wonderful and love how you've decorated it too! You're the best!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOL-Y COW. That looks so amazingingly gorgeous, and I cannot lie...I'm a little green with envy. I keep telling Mary over at Home is Where the Boat Is that I want to trade my gigantic hot tub for a she-shed! This only makes me want one more. Back when we were kids, we had one, called it the dollhouse. We used to hang blankets for room dividers....we all had our turns to call it ours, even the boys in the family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful she-shed. It is so light , airy and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so adorable, looks like so much fun! Love that little table and the wonderful tablecloth and tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable...your she shed has bloomed in just one week, I can't believe how much you've accomplished! I love all your special fall touches and especially love that adorable wheelbarrow.♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's adorable! Those bright, vibrant colors of the plants, flowers and pumpkins really "punch" it up and add warmth to the white.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so happy you have this space! I love seeing how you play with dishes and other vignettes. This is going to be great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Michael Lee,
    Your she shed is totally transformed from the new paint and all the fall decor makes everything come alive. This is going to be a great place to style for all the seasons and holidays during the year.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your she-shed. You really did an outstanding job on it. I love everything that you did. You will enjoy this so much making all your seasonal and holiday decorations in there.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to start on the day bed area this week--painting mostly.

      Delete
  19. I love it! You're inspiring me to get busy on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So pretty. I would love to have a place like this to have fun with decorating. Your fall accessories are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love what you have done! What a wonderful place to play and then shut the door and leave it all pretty! The rug was a great choice. Totally amazing and what a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! What a transformation already!!! You have the she-shed looking all homey and cozy. The rug is perfect and hides the floor so well, Michael Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun and amazing space! You don't even notice the tile with that beautiful sisal rug covering most of the area. And, WOW, what a transformation on the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm drooling! Lucky you...it's perfect!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete