Friday, September 22, 2017

Pool House into a She Shed-- The Beginning

For a long time, I'd had my eye on the pool house. It was private, yet close to the house. Best of all it was self-contained, with heating, air, sinks, a fridge, and a bathroom. It felt like a quiet, simple retreat, a place to write and tinker. In 2015, we added cedar shingles, white trim, and bronze gutters. But it would be two more years before I turned my attention to the interior.

2014                                                           2017

These are photos I took when we toured the house in '14.


I wasn't wild about the pink and mauve ceramic tile, but a rug would hide most of it.

I wanted to paint the cabinets, not replace them. Contractors weren't interested in a modest re-do. "Don't you want shiplap? Beadboard?" one asked.  "How about a fantastic kitchen?"
These men didn't understand that I wanted a playhouse for grown-ups, not a traditional pool house.

Years sped by, and "She Sheds" became part of the design and DIY lexicon. I developed a better idea of what I wanted and how to go about it. This time, I would attempt to do it myself.
Where to begin?
Paint, of course.
After three years of living in an all-white house, I'm a true fan. I love my "Simply White" and "White Dove" walls. But I wanted something whiter and brighter for the pool house. It's very dark and drab, and I thought a few coats of super white paint would change the mood.
I bought sample pots at Home Depot.

Once I painted samples on the wall, I couldn't chicken out. Did I really want to get rid of the green? Couldn't I work with it? Well, I'd grappled with this notion for a few years, but I hadn't made progress, mainly because the green seemed at odds with the cottage's limited natural lighting. 
No, it was time to paint.

I slapped up some paint.
I wasn't bowled over with my choices.
I didn't know what was wrong, but I knew that the white samples would never work with the existing trim color, which is a very warm, deep off-white, almost beige-yellow. Unless I wanted to repaint all of the trim, and the ceiling, too, I'd have to find another color.
Yes, let's do that.
I remembered a beautiful off-white color that I'd used in another house, SW Creamy.

The store was having a 40% off sale, so I threw caution to the wind and bought a gallon. After all, I could use it elsewhere--the She Shed's bathroom or in the garage. 

Here's the first coat on the backsplash.
This is way, way different from the Creamy I remember, but it's most definitely Creamy. When the paint dried in the pan, I could see the warm blush that I knew and loved. 
Another coat or two will help, surely. 

But I think the floor is really calling the shots here, playing tricks with the paint.

I really like the idea of removing the doors, but only on two cabinets -- the far left and far right. I'm still mulling it over, but I'll probably remove the doors this weekend.

 I wanted something different on the cabinets, so I opted for Valspar Chalky paint in "Kid Gloves." On the sample card, the color looked like an aged white. In person (without the wax; and I'm probably skipping the glaze) it's Ultra White, but I'm liking it.

The back splash wall (under the cabs) reads very white, but in person it looks pale, pale green.

 Gladys kept me company while I worked.

It took all day, but I got one coat on the cabinets and walls. Tyler was a great help. He painted the uppers and along the ceiling.


* It may take three coats to cover the original green.

* I  plan to change the hardware (too many handles). I'm thinking about a mix of knobs and pulls. I came thisclose to buying bin pulls, but I may look for nature-themed hardware. Also, I'm thinking about a lighter metal, rather than ORB (though I'm loving antique brass). A lot of cabinets and drawers are crammed into a small space, and I don't want anything that will stand out too much.

* I'm still thinking about removing the doors on the far left and far right cabinets.

 * The Formica counter will be painted, too. I'm going to try SW Pure White in semi-gloss. 

* A rug has been ordered on Amazon.

*No, I'm not having a bit of fun! 😊

I'm painting quickly, breaking every rule, so I can hurry up and decorate!

Before and After (so far)


Shared at:

25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Marty! I'm going to adore all of those cabinets and drawers!

      Delete
  2. You go girl! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your pool house/she-shed! That's hard work, but is looking good. I know what you mean about the floor calling the shots. Hopefully your countertop will cooperate without multiple coats necessary. When we redid our bath, our trim was a sort of khaki color, and we also used SW pure white. It took primer + 2 coats to cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rita! And thanks for the head's up about the coats. I went out to look this morning, and it was like peering through a green bottle. Still mossy. And the cabinets will need sanding before I do another coat (the chalk paint is much whiter than I thought, but I rather like the mix of whites and off-whites. I expect the counter will be a bear to paint (I have a terrible technique, lots of brush strokes). I may try a roller after I cut in the perimeter.

      Delete
  4. What fun! This is going to be a great spot for you, Michael Lee. A retreat all your own! Just think about all the fun you can have staging this space. I'm eager to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to power through the "hard" part (painting/taping off) to reach the decorating. LOL

      Delete
  5. What a fun project! I am really going to enjoy watching you turn this into something fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been listening to music playlists while I work, and I must say, it's been a lot of fun.

      Delete
  6. Ha! This would be me...quickest way possible to get to the fun stuff. What a great space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seeing little crimes I committed with the paint brush, but I have 220 grit sandpaper to hide them. LOL

      Delete
  7. You are going so enjoy so much..and Gladys also. Will Jasper be allowed? Oh my first thought when I read "She Shed" that it needs to be "ME SHED" all yours. Have fun getting it ready . Jere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasper will definitely hang with me in the pool house. We went out there this morning to take a peek. But when I'm painting, he stays with Dad because I've heard that Scotties are sensitive to chemicals (mainly weed killers that induce lymphoma and bladder cancer). Paint is prolly okay, but I didn't want to take a chance.

      Delete
  8. You are making serious progress on your she shed. Often selecting paint color is the biggest battle. We would all come and help but we'd just be in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pool house will make a wonderful little house/she shed! I know you'll have fun putting your personal stamp on it. Painting is my least favorite thing in the world... my back door to my shed is peeling and has been on my list to paint since spring. In spring it was too wet to paint from rain, then summer was too hot. I'm running out of excuses. The work and painting will be well worth it! Can't wait to see your progress. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The painting was harder today (for unknown reasons, except it _was_ very hot today, despite our little a/c unit running full blast), and it didn't go as far. Back to Lowes for more chalky paint. But I'm staring at the proverbial carrot on the stick (decorating).

      Delete
  10. Love your Sheshed. You really worked hard on that paint and it's going to look terrific. I can hardly wait to see the final results.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter just painted her maple kitchen cabinets white and they are stunning! Big job though, I admire your strength!! I would love to have an air conditioned she shed by my swimming pool, I would happily live there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of Virginia Woolf's "A Room of One's Own."

      Delete
  12. It's going to be SO gorgeous! I'm so jealous!
    Found you through BNOTP

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michael Lee, I can't wait to see the finished project. It is my dream to have a she-shed...someday! You are making progress and I will be following along! Happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun Michael Lee, to have your very own playhouse, and with a kitchen! You and Tyler have made much progress and I'm happy to be taken along for the redo...such fun!

    ReplyDelete