Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The Apple Diaries

 The smell of freshly peeled apples defines early autumn. As a result, when September arrives, I begin my search for a just-right apple cake. On Labor Day weekend, I finally had time to experiment. Unfortunately, I veered far away from Betty Crocker, into Dr. Frankenstein territory.



The recipe called for two round 9" pans. Into each one, I was supposed to add a crust, layer of seasoned apples, and a crumb topping. Why not put it all in a Bundt? Well, that was my reasoning. Little did I know that my choice prolly changed the whole baking dynamics. Some apples were soft, but others were crunchy. The original recipe included a spice cake mix, which had drawn me in (of course!), along with plenty of butter, brown sugar, and spices. Looking back, I should have decreased the liquids: the center of the cake was decidedly "moist." My husband liked it, but it's been a whole year since I've made an apple dessert. Plus, ice cream was involved, so his judgment was clouded.
I wouldn't dare give you the recipe because I love you too much. But I'm not finished.
I'll return. 
Maybe.

Autumn baking is the quintessential activity on a chilly morning. And even though I seem to be unable to follow a recipe, that's okay. Flawed desserts can still be edible. My hips will vouch for this statement.
Later this week, you'll find me in the kitchen, tinkering and destroying perfectly good recipes. And eating the results anyway.
The apple diaries will continue.
I can't wait.

16 comments:

  1. Your apple cake photos look good enough to eat as is but ice cream is the perfect rescue for a failed dessert...no pretty slices required, place in bowl, top and serve! Looking forward to your next installment to the apple dairies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cream is a miracle worker in this house. LOL

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness... if these taste as good as they look I will in trouble. They're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apples are a challenge with the moisture in them, I have a couple of recipes I have perfected over time, it just takes a lot of tinkering and reducing the liquids as you mentioned. But, tinkering is so much fun, and you get to eat the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, I should have known to adjust the liquids with fresh apples. I'm making hand pies today, just what my thighs need. :-)

      Delete
  4. You make me smile with your honesty, Michael Lee! Your Apple Bundt cake looks beautiful to me, and as always, you've displayed it so beautifully. Yes, 'tis the apple season and I look forward to more Apple escapades coming from your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, cooking is a journey, and part of the fun is testing and developing recipes--especially from September to December.

      Delete
  5. Dear Michael Lee. I think your blog is stunning and love all your photographs and posts. I know how much work is involved so congratulations! And your apple cake still looks luscious. Hubs liked it so that was important, too, right! Keep up the good work. I LOVE September. It's a sumptuous month. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice to read this today. Thank you, Susan!

      Delete
  6. "Flawed desserts can still be edible." I always care more about the taste and men seem to bury their desserts under mounds of ice cream and I wonder if they can even taste the dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well the cake looks amazing and I am sure it tasted very good too.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny! "his judgment was clouded".....it looks good to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't tell you how many bundt cakes I've screwed up...as you said "prolly because of baking dynamics" When I pull out the bundt pan, my husband just smiles and says here we go...

    ReplyDelete
  10. If the hubby approved, that is a win! It looks delicious to me, but I will be awaiting your next apple installment!

    ReplyDelete