Friday, October 13, 2017

She Shed Diaries: The Ugly Wall

I've always liked exterior brick walls. They are downright pretty, adding texture and subtle color, creating a pleasing backdrop to vines, hydrangeas, or trellises. Also, they can be wonderfully neutral. Never in my life did I think about sprucing up an exterior wall, not until I began working on the She Shed.

  Oh, what was the problem? The wall was square and squatty, a weird shade of brown, devoid of landscaping or architectural features. For the last two years, it served as a prop for the pool net. But after I added a little curb appeal to the shed, the brick wall looked forlorn, almost begging for a little love.

I wanted to use what I already had, if possible, so I walked around the yard and house, looking for items that might add warmth to the wall. 

I found a ladder in the potting shed, along with a little blue and white table. Flowers from another project went into the darling orange pitcher. I hadn't yet put up the autumn wreaths, so I hung one above the bench. Cornstalks, lanterns, and pumpkins were gathered in the butterfly garden. In the house, I grabbed pillows, an apron, a throw and various items. Front porch mums added color. The tin ghost signs were pulled (clawed) out of the little storage closet.




 We use the gate every day, so I left the path unobstructed.

Mary, from Home Is Where the Boat Is and creator of the cutest She Shed ever, suggested trellises, and I love that idea. Metal trellises will allow for vertical decorating. Thank you, Mary!
I can't say I scrubbed out the ugly, but ideas are percolating. Most of all, I am so happy to be digging in and working. I had a long spell of being ill, and so many times the mind was willing, but the body refused; but I'm on my way, and it feels marvelous.

Shared at:

42 comments:

  1. I'm oohing and aahing at your wonderful fall accents on your exterior wall! I love the pile of pillows and pumpkins, cornstalks and ladder for vertical interest. It's been so hot here the past week and a half I fear all my pumpkins may be about to expire before I get to fully enjoy them. Great minds shop alike, I see we have matching plaid tins too :) My potting shed thanks you for the compliment. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now--WHY haven't I been following you? Love this blog and so I am your newest follower. I LOVE a brick wall. One of our houses had a brick wall on the back wall of the kitchen and I always loved it.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend. I will get you on my sidebar because I read from there. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fall outdoor decorations. Hopefully the pumpkins will last until Halloween.
    Joyously,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's taken me an unbelievable amount of time to finally feel somewhat normal after being ill myself. 62 is no fun age to be. You realize all of your immune defenses just can't hold a candle to when you were younger and bounced right back. I love every thing you did to the wall. And I think trellises would be wonderful. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful vignette from an essentially blank canvas. Love all the autumn accents, pumpkins always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m w Mary. “0oooh” and “aaah”. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! Especially loving the ladder. I've been looking for something different than the usual Boo! and Happy Halloween for a sign idea I've been rolling around in my head. That "I ain't afraid of no ghost" is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always liked to decorate exterior walls. I'm so jealous of your she-shed. Although I guess I have a she-apartment.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have done a terrific job on decorating that wall. I think we all feel we would like to do something, but what? Then we see what someone else has done and our minds start thinking again. I feel sometimes I am in a big rut.

    Love everything you have done.... Have a great fall weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what you did that plain Jane wall! She is ready to boogie now...looks like she needs a party. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. So glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm repeating myself, but it's obvious that you've got your "groove" back! It's adorable and my favorite part is the perfect sign—I Ain't Afraid of No Ghost Bwahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful display.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous Autumn and Halloween setting. Just perfect.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh and ahh, I have a wall along my garage that could use some love like this, thanks for the idea and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you are feeling better and well enough to tackle the She Shed! She is coming along very nicely. Love what you did to spruce up that wall. Trellises sound perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original idea had been to cut trellis boards at Home Depot and somehow affix, but waiting turned out to be a good idea. I like the idea of trellesis here and there, not totally covering the brick.

      Delete
  17. It feels marvelous and it looks marvelous, too! Happy Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, that looks like a perfect fall perch, and a bonus sort of room! Glad your get up and go is back, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to remember to drink 12 glasses of water a day, or the iron causes issues with the divertic disease. Argh. But feeling better is worth any distress.

      Delete
  19. Wow!....that wall is so magnificently decorated! Such gorgeous images and I love them all...great job!!...and getting a little advice from Mary is always a good thing. Happy to hear you are feeling better. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did a wonderful job on that wall!!! So glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a certain price to pay for taking iron tablets, but it's worth it!

      Delete
  21. M- you've nailed it - just look at that transformation! WOW!!! It looks as if it belongs on the cover of a decorator mag! : - )

    Do dotty you've not been well - and so sorry that I have been absent. I, too, haven't been feeling up to snuff for much more than the basics for living. I apologize for being so absent.

    I am backish - and I have missed you. Hugs. ♥



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you, Michele! Glad you're feeling better!

      Delete
  22. Michael Lee,
    Beautiful job of decorating your exterior wall. The brown brick color is perfect for a fall backdrop. Looking forward to seeing a trellis or two in the future. Once you get the she shed bug, there's no end to new ideas.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  23. MLW, So glad your back at it. This looks so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks fantastic! No more blank wall!!! Stopping by from Wow Us Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You sure made that wall become so warm and inviting, Michael Lee!!! I am just smiling at the beautiful transformation that you did. I always knew that you are the Queen of Garnishing Cakes, and now it's garnishing walls, too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So pretty you are lucky lady wish I had one!

    ReplyDelete