Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Lessons from Nature

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The speed of modern life makes it easy to overlook mysteries and magic in my own backyard. But when I bend close to the rock wall, I am amazed by the pluck and perseverance of moss. It is rootless, yet it grows in the most inhospitable places, on rocks and rooftops, impervious to the elements. 

All day, I hear the distant roar of power blowers. People around here like to keep their yards tidy. My husband and I may be the only folks who love heaps of fallen leaves, ivy on brick walls, and long, lacy weeds. 
I quickly take a photo of leaves before they disappear. 

 "How beautifully leaves grow old. How full of light and color are their last days."
-- John Burroughs


"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man."
-- Unknown

"The true doctrine of omnipresence is that God reappears with all His parts in every moss and cobweb."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I slept with my feet on moss carpets, my branch in the cotton of clouds."
-- Anais Nin

"Go out, go out I beg of you     
And taste the beauty of the wild.     
Behold the miracle of the earth     
With all the wonder of a child."
--  Edna Jaques



12 comments:

  1. We're just this week seeing color and a few fallen leaves, mist and chill. Such a beautiful time of year....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here, the trees came into their glory after rain and cooler temps. I've noticed a sugar maple for the first time (she wasn't this colorful last year).

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post, poetic. Thank you for that.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael Lee,
    Lovely quotes and beautiful photos of trees, leaves, stone walls, and moss inspired me to enjoy nature today.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you're inspired! Thank you, Judith!

      Delete
  4. I have always thought fallen leaves must go until this year. Then, now, reading your post I feel justified in loving the decorations nature has blessed us with. The huge tree that once was so full of life and leaves, now stand bare.
    Nonie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Nonie! I can't remember an autumn when I've enjoyed the leaves this much. They make exquisite patterns under trees, and I'm a bit smitten by the way they gather along a walkway.

      Delete
  5. As I was shutting off the water in the back area of my garden today, I was amazed at the amount of moss growing around the bricked area of the underground spigot, as well as the wall above, where our maple tree has shaded it. I had to run my fingers over the velvety stuff and immediately wanted to grab my camera (though my hands were too filthy). It's a beautiful decoration, contrasted against the oranges and reds right now. :)
    Speaking of beautiful...YOU! Your profile picture is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, you are very kind. Last winter, I gathered moss and used it for a flat-lay. It's so lush and GREEN.

      Delete
  6. lovely photos, I love moss and look for it whenever I'm out, terrific quotes also

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post, both the words and the images are inspiring. I will look closer at each tree and bush as we head out to the beach today.

    ReplyDelete